19k load, what to pull with?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a copy of the list that was in my truck. Never under stood why they listed Puerto Rico and Hawaii. Not like I could drive there in my truck...lol

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boats are the biggiest waist of money but they are so fun. guess the fun part makes up for the cost.

thats a list i have been trying to put together. Thanks. saved me a lot of time.

Thanks

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boats are the biggiest waist of money but they are so fun. guess the fun part makes up for the cost.

thats a list i have been trying to put together. Thanks. saved me a lot of time.

Thanks

True. I had 4 boats over over 25 years and all but one was on the lake 24/7. MY great grand dad told me boat are like ex-wives, your always putting money into them and you get little to no enjoyment. :hail

I sold my boats before I Said I do...lol

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I decided on a 450 and looking from 99 on. they all seem to be up for the job. A low mile 7.3 can be had but I wonder about the auto trans and age, the 6.0’s are cheaper and an 06 -07 is a nicer truck than the 99- 03 7.3 truck are but that 6.0 scares me. Found a 2008 6.4 with 100k left on the 200k warranty at the very top of what I want to spend. Ford Just installed a new motor 300 miles ago looking at the oasis report and that makes me wonder. What are the thoughts out there? I've seen the "fix all the bad on yr 6.0” kits sold in magazines for around $1300 but not sure the cost of getting it done. Is the 6.0 worth the hassle.... My head hurts; maybe I’ll just sit on the boat in the driveway.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It all goes to which truck you have. If you get a good one, like mine, you will not have troubles IF you treat it right. They don't seem to like being chipped or modded for more power. They will blow head gaskets if you do. Adding head studs is the cure. Other than that they are good motors. I am sure others will have their opinions. The 7.3 is a bullet proof engine, but lacks the technology of today, like variable vane turbos.

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very pleased with my 06, 6.0 and we are are at 76000 miles now. It has worked hard
most of it's life.
Doug

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Ok so I decided on a 450 and looking from 99 on. they all seem to be up for the job. A low mile 7.3 can be had but I wonder about the auto trans and age, the 6.0’s are cheaper and an 06 -07 is a nicer truck than the 99- 03 7.3 truck are but that 6.0 scares me. Found a 2008 6.4 with 100k left on the 200k warranty at the very top of what I want to spend. Ford Just installed a new motor 300 miles ago looking at the oasis report and that makes me wonder. What are the thoughts out there? I've seen the "fix all the bad on yr 6.0” kits sold in magazines for around $1300 but not sure the cost of getting it done. Is the 6.0 worth the hassle.... My head hurts; maybe I’ll just sit on the boat in the driveway.

If you can get a 6.4, I would do it. I would verify what the warranty covers though. When I was shopping last year I could get a 450 w/ 6.4L with very low miles around 30k or so, IIRC, with some warranty left. I still opted for the new truck at $55k. Remember also that the 6.4 in the 450 will likely get terrible mileage. My 6.7 would probably get around 9-10 pulling that boat. 6.4 will be less, 6.0 probably about the same.

I still think that boat would look very good behind a new truck like mine. :D

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yr truck style is slick but more than the boat. you would be surprised how fast boats loose value.

a dealer told us to take his 04 450 for a few days and see what we think. so we did. had an inspection at a local ford dealer and a well known diesel shop and they both noted a small oil leak in the valley between heads. both said it could be the hpop or just a fitting (i'm not sure what fitting). this truck is 15K out the door but has set for about 5 months. just wondering what will cost more, pump or fitting and is it worth fixing. or should it scare me off not knowing how long its been leeking. After 500 miles the oil on the stick still looks the same. Cold starts have not been an issue yet. we have not pulled any load yet and said we would return it next friday, so pulling may not happen before we return it.

Thanks for the help guys, No BS answers like other site.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
If it's an 04, it's a 6.0L. There is now HPOP or fittings exposed in the valley, everything is internal.
6.0's can be great or a can of worms too. A 450 with many miles can be used hard. Sitting for extended periods is hard on them as well. How many miles are on it? What kind of history does the truck have? What was it used for?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58