19k load, what to pull with?

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hhhmmm, i thought oil in the valley and maybe down the back of the block was a sign of a HPOP leaking so i took the word of the mechanics when i was there. But, since you said something I went out and pulled the pluming to and from the turbo (air inlet & outlet) started looking closer. As soon as I pulled the silicone hose on the outlet to the intercooler i noticed a little oil inside and a small pin hole in the boot. cleaned everything as good as i could (its snowing) and fire it up and headed for lunch (20 minutes, 10 stop n go, 10 at 70mph one way) popped the hood after returning from lunch and pulled the boot and found a very small coating of oil on the shop rag. I'm guessing the mechanics assumed the oil was from the back. I'll post pictures in a bit.

Truck is a two owner, no clue what it was used for. Not a scratch on it though. Ford had several reports starting from like 60 miles to just 60 miles before i got it. Last thing was a Tension ring (?), before that was 4 injectors do to hard start and they were not holding pressure. Other than that, coolant flush 50K ago when resold, ball joints, brakes and so on. Truck has 93K on the clock.

Has a ball in the bed and an aftermarket trailer brake, not sure why it didn’t come with one from the factory but didn't. Has a EGT temp probe installed and a couple wires i can’t figure out just yet but I was gonna post the pics to see if anyone could tell me.

Last edited:

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is the oil and the boot i think caused it
DSCF0796.jpg

and the other end that has some baked on oil
DSCF0789.jpg

wiring i'm not sure off, notice the brown wire rinning up to cowl
DSCF0797.jpg

this is where the brown wire stops. its got a weather pack connector but nothing to plug into. also there are 3 wires taped back on the main bundle in the middle right of center, any idea?
DSCF0798.jpg

This may getting out of the real of towing so if someone would like i can start it in another topic.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
oil leak seems to be from the ccv recycling back dirty/oily air into the intake and then the turbo pressurizing it and then spewing out at boot connections or in your case a pin hole.

The three wires are normal. Ford put them in for body outfitters to use. Like ambulances and what not.

The brown wire.. I have no idea. Trace it to where it came from. From the photo it looks like it might have been used from some chip like thingy from a previous owner.

15K for a 450 that has under 100K. I'd buy it. BUT.... I am also going to sell mine and by a RV and a geo metro. :dunno

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the brown wire comes from the connector in picture 3 if anyone has an idea what that connector is.

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys this thread has pretty much come to an end. the truck was purchased, all fluids changed and/or flushed and its now on its way to jachsonville FL to meet its maker.

The new boots will go on as soon as they show up in the mail.

This spring when we head down to put in for the summer i'll post some pics, flags, wideload banner an all. the shots from the front should look pretty damn BAD-ASS with a load that wide towering over the "little" F450.

Lets just hope the 6.0 holds up

Thanks guys;
Nate

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
The new boots will go on as soon as they show up in the mail.
Nate

Did you end up ordering the boots from Dieselsite? I hope so, they are much better than the Ford ones.

Feel free to post pics before summer, we like to look at trucks :D

I wish you the very best with the 6.0L :sweet

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went with Riffraff kit and gonna try a ccv mod to end the oil problem.

ford wanted $214 for just the angled boot so that was not gonna happen.

i dont think i took any pics of the truck, since it was local i dont have an online listing either. i'm sure we will have pics to post when the boat heads back to the house in FL after the motor installs are done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58