2000 F-250 Power loss after appr. 30 minutes of highway travel

dtreat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have read all the threads, especially the CPS, andd still puzzled about some troubles I am having with intermittent power loss. Last night on the way home, after about thirty minutes of highway driving, my truck lost most of its power. It didn't die, and I made it to the offramp and took back roads to my inlaws. While driving up hills, it acted like it was running on three cylinders. I parked it, went back today, changed the fuel filter, added some more PS(white), and it ran fine for about thirty minutes, and did it again. When I got off the interstate after a couple of minutes, it acted fine? The CPS threads eihter says it works or it don't? It is a stock application, with about 80,000 miles on it, any suggestions? Also, I did notice to day after the fuel filter change, it sounded like hissing coming from the exhaust. Thanks...

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
It sounds like your exhaust back pressure valve is closing on you during normal operations. Do a search of "EBPV" and see if you get some results.

by the way, welcome to SDD!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
dtreat said:
Thanks for the welcome, I have only had this truck for a couple of weeks, and really like it.
Cool!! Take a minute when you have a chance and go to the Introductions Forum and tell us a little bit about you and your truck. Theres a good group of guys and gals around here always willing to help out when they can.

dtreat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, Definately appreciate the hospitality for the newcomer!
Do you think if I clean this tube they are referring to it might cure my problems? Some of the post were confusing, and I am not really educated enough to make the other changes they were talking about. Might be better for me to leave it stcok for now, but would like tof fix it before it leaves me stranded, if you know what I mean!

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem this weekend. I changed the CPS and the truck fired right up. Drove it about another 10 miles and lost all power again, the truck actaully died. Changed the fuel filter. No sign of gelling. While I had the filter out I turned the key on to see if I was getting a good fuel supply to the filter bowl. I couldn't get the bowl to fill after several cycles of the key. Looks like maybe I've got a bad fuel pump.

Anybody had a pump that runs but doesn't pump? :dunno

Prolly will try a couple more things tonite.

Looks like I can get a new pump for around $190.00. How's that sound for a price.

Bushwakd

Reaction score
dtreat said:
Hello,
I have read all the threads, especially the CPS, andd still puzzled about some troubles I am having with intermittent power loss. Last night on the way home, after about thirty minutes of highway driving, my truck lost most of its power. It didn't die, and I made it to the offramp and took back roads to my inlaws. While driving up hills, it acted like it was running on three cylinders. I parked it, went back today, changed the fuel filter, added some more PS(white), and it ran fine for about thirty minutes, and did it again. When I got off the interstate after a couple of minutes, it acted fine? The CPS threads eihter says it works or it don't? It is a stock application, with about 80,000 miles on it, any suggestions? Also, I did notice to day after the fuel filter change, it sounded like hissing coming from the exhaust. Thanks...

dtreat,
When your truck loses power does the motor sound normal or is it knocking and rattling really loud?

Cool Canuck

Having a Hoot
Reaction score
dtreat said:
Hello,
Last night on the way home, after about thirty minutes of highway driving, my truck lost most of its power. It didn't die, and I made it to the offramp and took back roads to my inlaws. While driving up hills, it acted like it was running on three cylinders.
Certainly sounds like a fuel issue. Either gelling or low pressure. Don't know where you are or how cold it is. Might try throwing in a gallon of Kerosene.

dtreat said:
Also, I did notice to day after the fuel filter change, it sounded like hissing coming from the exhaust. Thanks...
That is normal for a cold engine. The cold weather package will close the EBV until the oil temp gets up to normal.

Bushwakd

Reaction score
The fuel pickup tube that is located inside the fuel tank has an orifice with screens on it and the screens can be partially clogged and not getting the proper amount of fuel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14