2000 F-250 Power loss after appr. 30 minutes of highway travel

dtreat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Replies

Thanks to everyone that responded! I changed the tube today on the ebpv, still does it. When it has lost its power, it is shuttering like its running on only a couple of cylinders? Does anyone know if the fuel pump is in the tank like on gasoline engines? I also noticed today even after it was warmed up it wass hissing out of the exhaust. I know this may sound like several problems, but I sware it was running fine earlier last week? Its got to be something simple. I plan on taking the fuel filter out, and turning on the key and draining in to a bucket to see how fuel is being delivered. I appreciate any insight everyone has on this subject. Thanks...

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
When you changed the EBPV tube did you clean the sensor out that it hooks to? That hissing sound you described out the tail pipe sure sounds to me like a closed EBPV.

The fuel pump on our trucks sits in the valley between the turbo and the fuel filter cannister.

dtreat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ebpv cleaning

Mike,
I wasn't sure how to clean it, or what to clean it with,shows how much I know, Huh! I only had time to change the tube, had to go to school. I spent some time in laramie, its been about twenty years ago. I used to travel around and work on microwave towers...

dtreat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump

95 Stroker,
Any ideas on how much a fuel pump cost from the local parts store? I noticed from the introduction that your in wyoming, I bet its cold there! its been in the low teens around here, except it got up to 40 degrees today... I spent some time in laramie about twenty years ago, if your familar with that area?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
95 Stroker has an early PSD. The SD's have the pump in-line on the frame rail under the driver seat.

The hissing sound is the EBPV and mine works all the way up to around 1900 rpm if it's cold enough. I can do 60 mph in OD and if it's cold enough the valve will close, normal operation.

Sounds to me like you might have bad fuel or gelled fuel. You need to check the fuel filter. Depending where you are, you may have gotten some fuel that wasn't ready for the cold.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
dtreat said:
Mike,
I wasn't sure how to clean it, or what to clean it with,shows how much I know, Huh! I only had time to change the tube, had to go to school. I spent some time in laramie, its been about twenty years ago. I used to travel around and work on microwave towers...
You should be able to take the sensor off the bracket that holds it, turn the sensor over and using some carb cleaner and a very gentle pick instrument you can remove the soot build-up in the bottom of the sensor. A fuel pump for a SD runs right in the 200 dollar range I think? You can test your fuel pump by taking the lid off the filter cannister, cycle the key and see if the cannister fills up. You can test the fuel pressure by getting a guage on the schreader valve (tire stem looking thing on the side of the fuel filter cannister/pressure regulator) and seeing how much PSI your pump is putting out.

dtreat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Roosterdiesel & 95 Stroker replies

Gentlemen,
Thanks. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, and will check the fuel supply tomorrow, and clean that sensor, I will let you know how it works out. Time to crash, early rise tomorrow....

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Dtreat,

Did the filter look like it had wax on it? Check out the Wiki for pics of the pick up removal and the screens mentioned earlier.

Mike,

The SD's don't have the schraeder valve. Take a look at the WIKI article for the set up.:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14