2001 F250 7.3 Performance upgrade advice

jortega

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get more towing power and increased performance from my 2001 F250 7.3 with automatic tranny, and am looking for advice on the best bang for my money for a couple upgrades.
The engine has only 55,000 miles on it, and I will be towing a 13000lb fifth wheel in the near future. I have the Airraid cold air ntake from a few years ago and the Poweraid throttle body spacer, but that is all I have done with the engine.
Does anyone have advise on easy bolt on/plug in type upgrades that a non-technical person could do fairly easily? I have read about the programmers, chips and exhaust upgrades, but with so many options, I am not sure which one is right for me or which one is better than the other.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

jortega

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...any particular exhaust? Is the DP tuner just a tuner or is there also a new chip involved? I already have the gauges for exhaust temp, tranny temp and boost.

Reaction score
Definitely add the 4" exhaust. It's a pretty straight forward bolt-on. Personally, I think they are all mostly the same, especially if straight pipe it.

You might, also, check out Tony Wildman's tunes. I love mine!:sweet

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Definitely add the 4" exhaust. It's a pretty straight forward bolt-on. Personally, I think they are all mostly the same, especially if straight pipe it.

You might, also, check out Tony Wildman's tunes. I love mine!:sweet

x2

Give Tony a call, he has some of the best tunes available for the 7.3, you WON'T be dissapointed.

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry wait, time out. Throttle body spacer? we dont have a throttle body to space?

looking online its something like the TAG things i guess?

Ide go for a 4inch ex, Dale at tymar is a great guy to deal with, and some good tunes from Jody at DP,
how much further did you want to go, a drop in BB turbo would help EGTs and clean up some smoke, whether you subscribe to the TN or the garret camp both are good turbos, talk to the guys at Black Widow diesel. With that a Spearco intercooler, and some head studs would be nice but not necessary.

On the fuel side, a regulated return and intake/prepump kit would help out alot, quiet it down get air out of the system and you could fill your tank with more fuel!. Dennis at ITP diesel is the guy to see for that.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...any particular exhaust? Is the DP tuner just a tuner or is there also a new chip involved? I already have the gauges for exhaust temp, tranny temp and boost.

Which exhaust you want, will be affected by where you live. If there is a lot of road salt used around your area or you are near the ocean coast, then you want a stainless system. If you are in a dryer climate, an aluminized system will work.

DP-Tuner has tuning on both chips & programers. Tony Wildman has chips, I dunno about programmers.

One other thing you'll want if you're gonna tow like you say, a bigger tranny cooler. The factory tranny cooler is undersized. A V-8/V-10 tranny cooler (the one on top):
View attachment 7064

will improve/lower your tranny temps. A tranny cooler from the 6.0 will reduce the temps even further.

Last edited:

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point tail gunner, OP might also want to give Brian at BTS a call and look into a good valve body, if you do that at the same time as get a chip or tuner, tell Jody, him and brian have worked togethor and they can work some magic and retorq the fairys so they all play super nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58