220 volts on Engine block heater?

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure they do- I just looked at it, but you wont get free shipping.... change the (country) pulldown by the shipping rates to denmark. You could have it to you for $13.10+ $9.46 shipping.

Ok thanks. Will check that out. I guess it was because I tried to buy without an ebay account then.

dpantazis

Reaction score
you all mean well but you are not giving good advice or direction. the risk is friis' money and truck.

that is light duty transformer for travelers. you can get those in any travel store or duty free shop. friis does not have to buy that from the us. they are EVERYWHERE in Europe. its would be ok for running your laptop or something but not the heater.

that thing is not going to deal with the 10 amps of continuous duty for the time it takes to heat the coolant up.

i have used up my share of those running SMALL electric devices like laptops or radios and the like.

he needs a REAL stepdown transformer reated for the CONTINUOUS load. its not cheap not worth it. he is better off getting a tank heater or replacement element.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I wouldn't use something like that to leave it plugged in for long periods of time, or as a permanent solution for that matter, but to have around in case of a no start one cold morning?? Sounds like Friis has never used his heater in 4 years. Chances are he wont ever need to use it. In case of a no start, I guess I would rather try use a transformer like that for an hour or so to warm up my engine than walk. Or get a tow. This is my OPINION.

OBVIOUSLY everyone knows that yes, indeed getting a block heater for the right voltage is the correct way and the best way to go. The whole question of this thread was to find OTHER OPTIONS, right?

The whole point of getting on a forum like this is to get other peoples personal experiences and run through every possible solution. Thats all I am trying to do. Thats the last you'll hear from me about this stupid a55 block heater. I'll leave it to the experts to jump in, tell Friis to go look for the heater that he couldnt find in the first place, and tell us all there's absolutely no other solution.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I bet he could get a tank-style one like they have for semi's.. next thing would be where to mount it in that crammed-fulla-crap engine bay..

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ease up, guys :) I'm happy with all the replies. I ordered the one Kristolson suggested, and I will let you know how it works out. I have been able to cold start in -20 degrees (celsius) without a heater (well it took 45 min and almost ate my brand new tractor-rated batteries!) so it's not an emergency. I would simply like to know if it works and maybe use it a little to be nice to my engine.

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I got the transformer but it's no good. The body of the transformer didn't even get warm or anything after 2 hours of being plugged in. The heater is probably dead. Well it was worth a try :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer.

You didn't hear any very slight hissing/gurgling at all ? Maybe a DUH.. but these Block Heaters don't, and won't bring the temps up to Op temp. If anything.. you would maybe see the temp needle move [SLIGHTLY] off the Cold peg.(Coolant Warmer, not Block Heater.. would be a better term)

Joe

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer.

You didn't hear any very slight hissing/gurgling at all ? Maybe a DUH.. but these Block Heaters don't, and won't bring the temps up to Op temp. If anything.. you would maybe see the temp needle move [SLIGHTLY] off the Cold peg.(Coolant Warmer, not Block Heater.. would be a better term)

Joe

No, nothing at all. I could try plugging it in a current monitor thing (don't know what it's called) to see if it draws anything at all.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warm way to check your transformer: plug into an outlet inside and test if you get 120V on the output side. If not, well that's that. If yes, then maybe it's your block heater? Testing by touch on a cold day outside might not be too helpful...

(measure current with ammeter, but it will need to handle the load of around 10-20A if it is working)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Try plugging it into a current monitor and check if you are drawing any current. You should see many amps draw if it is working.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14