220 volts on Engine block heater?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warm way to check your transformer: plug into an outlet inside and test if you get 120V on the output side. If not, well that's that. If yes, then maybe it's your block heater? Testing by touch on a cold day outside might not be too helpful...

(measure current with ammeter, but it will need to handle the load of around 10-20A if it is working)

Try plugging it into a current monitor and check if you are drawing any current. You should see many amps draw if it is working.

Dave

Times 3 Friis..

In the end..at least you'd know everything Is, or Ain't working.

You might check the plug and cord leading from the plug-in to the element too.. they tend to get weather worn-cracked over time. I've seen the plug lugs burnt, from not being heavy duty enough.

Joe

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might check the plug and cord leading from the plug-in to the element too.. they tend to get weather worn-cracked over time. I've seen the plug lugs burnt, from not being heavy duty enough.

Joe

That's likely. Will do...

Nickelfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this one. But working with espresso Machines and rewiring them from European to American power grid (And Australian 240/50hz btw) this is a simple matter of resistance heating. I does not matter the energy input (Amperage) or voltage input (120 or 240) as long as it is Alternating Current (VAC). The higher VAC will not cause the resistance heater rod to over heat, which would be impossible in a coolant filled, iron block, but always remember to use an earth grounded connection for the unit since your safety is most important as well as the sensitive electronics on board. I recommend if you are serious about using the coolant warmer, you will experience a rapid warming since the unit will use 10 Amps, regardless of the voltage, but never allow the cap to be removed from the coolant system while the unit is plugged in. Since the boiling point of water is lower than the admix of Ethylene Glycol, it might cause cavitation near the resistance rod, which would allow for the rod to overheat thus rendering it useless. If you haven't already rewired it, I can give you a heads up for wiring it to your power grid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14