4R100 TC Lockup Mod Opinions?

sirthomas

BlackSmoke Reverend
Reaction score
I've the manual switch and an indicator lamp for TC lock up. I mostly use the switch when towing the TT in city areas. Works great. You'll know quickly if you forget to unlock when coming to a stop.:D

how did you wire the indicator light in?

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
Why couldnt you just tap into that wire that you have to ground, so the truck can lock up when it wants to but, if you want to you can overide it?

ya fallow me?

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Why couldnt you just tap into that wire that you have to ground, so the truck can lock up when it wants to but, if you want to you can overide it?

ya fallow me?

That is exactly what you do. You splice the switch into that TC trigger wire which is a Ground NOT at 12v trigger. You then run the switch to a ground to trigger it manually.

For the indicator you simply run the ground leg on a 12v LED to the TC trigger wire and the 12v side of the LED to a keyed 12v source. It will then illuminate when the TC is locked either by the PCM or manually. I have a green LED mounted in my gauge pod.

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume you would use a double pole switch. One side as a path to ground for the TC trigger an one side as a path to ground for the LED. If you just put the LED in series with the wire going to the switch the load of the TC selenoid coil would have to be carried by the LED, not something that is going to work.

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
SO.........let me get this straight, just to understand what ya'll are saying.

while your driving, you have to constantly flip this switch up and down when stopping and starting?

i dont have enuff brain memory to remember to do that.

if have the wrong idea bout this, please tell me.

Steven, this mod really helps out folks who have older stock PCM programming. those folks with the older 99-01 7.3's with the NVK3, or XLT2 programming(which does not call for TC lock up in 3rd gear at all) for those that have PMT-1 and later programming it really is another gadget to add to the mod list.

PS. War Eagle

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed my T/C switch. Got it installed around the 30,000 mile mark and its been trouble free(knock on wood) up to the 205,000 mile stone. I couldn't stand waiting for the t/c to lock at 38mph as it seemed ineffecient to have the engine reving.

I use it constantly with 100% duty cycle over 20mph. Its also nice on deceleration even beter with the OD button kicked out(under 45mph).

Tbar

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Has anyone ever figured our how to get rid of the damn overdrive light flashing? So far I just put some electrical tape over it. What have you all done?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58