6.0 running great 2007

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that seems to be the case. I have been lucky with techs. I have had the same guy do my engine repairs because he took the time to talk to me and seemed like he actually cared about my truck. Got it back exactly the way it was left, clean, no mess, no problems. Now, the service manager...well, thats another story.

i notice you also arent running a coolant filter...how long did
you run the original coolant ? when was it flushed ?

and i agree w/ you a great mechanic is tough to find...and even
then folks dont wanna pay 'em what theyre REALLY worth.

in my book...service writers are the bottom of the barrel, im not
sure i ever met one that knew his head from his...their sole purpose
at the dealers is to keep you from the mechanic and to increase
the average ticket price.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Original coolant was changed at 70k, been done twice since. Coolant filter is on my wish list. The tech who worked on truck was very cool. He talked to me at length about my mods, made some good suggestions and commented on how much power the truck had. I met this guy after the service hack and I exchanged unpleasantries at a high decible level and he kind of got in the middle of it to keep the peace. Long story. I had no problem tipping the tech. I also brought in a mixed case of good beer for the guys in the shop after I got the truck back. A little PR goes a long way.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original coolant was changed at 70k, been done twice since. Coolant filter is on my wish list. The tech who worked on truck was very cool. He talked to me at length about my mods, made some good suggestions and commented on how much power the truck had. I met this guy after the service hack and I exchanged unpleasantries at a high decible level and he kind of got in the middle of it to keep the peace. Long story. I had no problem tipping the tech. I also brought in a mixed case of good beer for the guys in the shop after I got the truck back. A little PR goes a long way.

agreed ont he PR !

i wonder if the coolant change was part of what pro-longed your
egr cooler life...

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Or it could be that I haven't had a functioning EGR valve since the truck had about 40 miles on it. :innocent

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has a 05 F350 with the 6.0, which was totally stock at the time, and while I was riding with him, the EGR cooler went out, at first it was just a little bit of steam in the exhaust, we didn't know anything about the EGR coolers. we continued back to his house, about 30 miles, and it got a little bit worse, so he decided to take it to Ford to have them look at it, before we could get 1 mile down the road, it went from a very small amount of steam in the exhaust, to a freakin' smoke screen behind us so thick we couldn't see anything behind the truck, needless to say we shut it down, and had it towed. The EGR cooler had a huge crack in it, his truck was totally stock, and only had 31,000 miles on it at the time.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
despite an egr issue and one hpop oring thingy and a radiator
i really like mine :clap:
sure does pull real well and gets decent mpg pulling and empty.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has a 05 F350 with the 6.0, which was totally stock at the time, and while I was riding with him, the EGR cooler went out, at first it was just a little bit of steam in the exhaust, we didn't know anything about the EGR coolers. we continued back to his house, about 30 miles, and it got a little bit worse, so he decided to take it to Ford to have them look at it, before we could get 1 mile down the road, it went from a very small amount of steam in the exhaust, to a freakin' smoke screen behind us so thick we couldn't see anything behind the truck, needless to say we shut it down, and had it towed. The EGR cooler had a huge crack in it, his truck was totally stock, and only had 31,000 miles on it at the time.

bummer thats for sure...has he had any other problems since the
egr cooler was replaced ? did they replace or find anything wrong
w/ the oil cooler ?

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I don't know about the oil cooler, but about 3 months after he had an alternator problem (he has the dual alternators), which somehow caused a fire under the hood as he was going down the road, fortunatley someone following him stopped and had an extinguisher, Ford picked up the repairs after lots of "negotiating" (read involving an attorney) to the tune of $5600
since then, no problems whatsoever

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone explain to me how an egr cooler goes bad and the motor runs burns the coolant? just close the egr?? no?? I gotta be missing something.
anyway, forgive all my questions and posts. i will learn this 6.0 down to a science. I WILL BE GOOD AT THIS SOON.
just dont see how the egr cooler fails, white smoke?
cant you just unhook the egr valve? please forgive my ignorance. But the dumb question is the one not asked.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The EGR cooler cools the exhaust gases that are recycled back into the engine. The EGR cooler uses the engines coolant to cool the gases. In my case, Ford said that my engine was producing too much boost and that blew out tot cooler. I raised the BS flag in this, but it was pointless. My engine is and was totally stock without a chip or any programmer. And they could not prove that I had one. They changed the cooler under warranty.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14