Question 6.0L Poor Milage

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does the 6.0L get poor mileage when compared to other engines? I love my Ford, but I have friends that have Dodges and Chevys and they both get better mileage, especially when in town.

:rant

atk

Reaction score
Why does the 6.0L get poor mileage when compared to other engines? I love my Ford, but I have friends that have Dodges and Chevys and they both get better mileage, especially when in town.

:rant

what is your mpg`s?....tell us what year of truck, auto or standard, gear ratio and mods you have done and maybe we can help

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 F-250 Super Cab. 6.0L 5-speed automatic 3.73 L/S
AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System Type Si with Pro-Dry S
Edge Edge Juice Platinum w/Attitude (usually run in mode 1)

Coming Soon: MACHForce XP Exhuast

I've tried several different driving styles. Driving like an old lady, keeping the RPMs under 2000 and I've tried driving it like I stole it. I actually got better mileage with a heavier foot. With the Juice Platinum off, I get about 10 MPG -mad, with it on level 3 I get about 12 MPG city. Empty on the freeway I get between 18-20 which is acceptable. Tires are all season street with a mild tread for now. I also use Lucas fuel additive when I fill up.

I'm thinking about pulling my Edge unit for an SCT because I've heard that the SCT can be custom tuned. But I'm still looking into that.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i get 15 empty, 4.30 rear gears and a no tuner

12-13 towing my rv

and a 4" mbrp
i think the 6.0 likes too turn a high rpm to get better mpg

2700 seems to be a sweeeeeet spot :sly

atk

Reaction score
2006 F-250 Super Cab. 6.0L 5-speed automatic 3.73 L/S
AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System Type Si with Pro-Dry S
Edge Edge Juice Platinum w/Attitude (usually run in mode 1)

Coming Soon: MACHForce XP Exhuast

I've tried several different driving styles. Driving like an old lady, keeping the RPMs under 2000 and I've tried driving it like I stole it. I actually got better mileage with a heavier foot. With the Juice Platinum off, I get about 10 MPG -mad, with it on level 3 I get about 12 MPG city. Empty on the freeway I get between 18-20 which is acceptable. Tires are all season street with a mild tread for now. I also use Lucas fuel additive when I fill up.

I'm thinking about pulling my Edge unit for an SCT because I've heard that the SCT can be custom tuned. But I'm still looking into that.

18-20 on the highway is good. i usually get 20-23mpg on a Cdn gallon, which is slighty more then a US gallon....in town i get around 15-16mpg. i don`t think you can go wrong with a custom tuned SCT. also, if you putting on a exhaust, think about doing a cat delete, it may gain you 1-2mpg, it did on mine....

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Milage improvements

I may give that a try. My last truck I got a AFE exhaust but didn't change the downtube. This time, I'm going 4" from the turbo back.

With the price of diesel right now, I'm trying to squeeze every mile I can out of the truck.

Tangi Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006-6.0 automatic completely stock. I started out getting about 16-17 combined city hiway, that was kinda tough, so I started reading the forums and trying new things, 1st I changed oil and put Super"S" pure synthetic(a local brand from here in Louisiana) then I started getting 17-18.5. Then I raised the air pressure from 48 to 60lbs all around, then I got 18.5 to 19.5, yesterday I put a dose of Lucas additive in when I filled up, and ohla, I got 21.1, that was on a little 80 mile trip, I will test more tomorrow on a trip to New Orleans, about a 200 mile trip, and see if it holds up. It's amazing what littlr things yo can do to increase your mileage, and to add, I drive like a Grandpa.

Last edited:

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
I keep on getting at least 16mpg in town. bone stock 06 6.0 with 3.73's had an aftermarket filter on it but had to remove it because it was throwing a code. Ill have to try the air pressure idea!!

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My freeway mileage is good. It's just my in city mileage that sucks. 10 MPG is crazy. Last 6.0L I had did the same thing. I've gotten this one up to 12 MPG, but I don't like running the Edge unit up that high. It doesn't hurt anything, but I get more smoke than I care for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58