Question 6.0L Poor Milage

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You most likely have 3.73s. 3.55s and 4.10s are a special option. Check you axle take and it will tell you for sure. If you don't want to get dirty and them to look at it the next time you get your oil changed.

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Sorry, but you can't trust the Lie-o-meter, they are known for being inaccurate, try hand calculating, and get back with us.;tu

Sorry but I have to disagree. Both my 03 and my 06 are right on the money, plus or minus 1 MPG. I figure my mileage but hand every time I fill up, but I check that against the electronic mileage unit.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that fuel quality has a big effect on economy. When I use Speedway or other "discount" stations My economy is noticably lower than when i use a station such as shell or bp.

Also, I you havent tried running tcw-3 oil in your fuel you might want to try it. Most people have noticed a quieter running motor and some have even reported a small increase in economy. The correct ratio is 1 oz(oil) to 1 gallon(fuel) or 128:1 I believe.

I also think youll see a boost in economy once the exhaust is put on...What size exhaust are you running and are you deleting the cat or muffler?

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lap top that plugs in to my truck and I can see what everything is doing. I do not trust the Lie-o-meter and have always done it by hand. My GPS works out to what my hand calculating is. The very best I have ever got mileage wize is 951 miles HWY to a tank and thats pulling down to about 2 gals. left in a 40gal. tank witch is about 25 mpg. City I get 18 to 19 mpg. Now if your cetane in the diesel fuel is low then your mileage will go in to the crapper to. I do run the Ford cetane booster in my truck and I do see a mileage change if I'm not running it.

Last edited:

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that also. I pretty much only buy Chevron fuel. Sometimes I will buy from Pacific Pride stations. My mileage seems to be within 1 MPG. I've bought diesel on the reservation here and I dropped about 2 MPG. Wasn't worth the savings.

I've tried a couple of different fuel additives. I've used Diesel 911 and it works good, but its a pain to meter out. Lucas works great, but same with metering. I've been told to try power punch so I'm going to look into that next.

Currently I'm running stock exhaust but I'm going to upgrade to a 4". I'm still running both my cat and muffler.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardware and software, I bought from ford when I worked for them. There is a site that sell to shops and dealers all the hardware and software need to work on your trucks and cars. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Fandini

Binford 6100 Owner
Reaction score
My milage has never been satisfactory in my eyes. 10 to 12 all around and 16.9 strictly interstate averaging between 65 to 70 mph, all these averages with the truck basically empty and mot pulling much. 2006 f-350 4wd fx4 CC LB SRW w/ 3.73 limited slip, running synthetic oil with zoodad mod. Everything else stock. Tires are stock Continentals running about 60 psi. Starting to try some things. Have a Fitch on now for about 30 days, haven't seen any noticeable improvement. Looking into MBRP Turbo back. Thinking about changing all the fluids in the drive train to a synthetic. Have been looking into a sct but concerned about warranty issues. Starting to look at replacing tires, getting worn, looking for rolling resistance ratings on tires (looking at Toyo and michelin). I-Henry, I also can't understand why some of the guys are getting much better milage. I have about 33,000 miles on my truck at this time and it's never gotten any better since I bought the truck new in July of 06. I'm with I-Henry, what gives?:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58