6 spd clutch question?

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a DMFW you will have a solid clutch disc, however if you have springs in the clutch disc then you have a single mass flywheel.

I recently replaced the original clutch in my DD not because the clutch was even near worn after 213k but because of the play in the DMFW.

I went to a web site (Advance Auto Parts I think but I'm not sure) and it showed pictures of both flywheels. If they are accurate, the dual mass has a series of bolts around the center, slightly outside the holes used to bolt the fw to the crank. Also the locating pins are off set from center where as the single mass fw locating pins are centered between the bolt holes, presumably to prevent you from bolting the wrong clutch to it (?).

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A South Bend, Cleavland or LUK seems to be the replacement Clutchs of choice on here, based on feedback.

I went with the complete LUK clutch assembly 100K+ ago, with the single mass flywheel, improved (from OE) throwout bearing and clutch plate.

Do Allot of 10K+ 5r towing.. it has served me well, and continues to ?

:dunno

Joe

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the actual flywheel you can pull the inspection plate and determine what type of flywheel you have here are a few videos

YouTube - Dual Mass Flywheel Conversion (PART 2)
YouTube - Powerstroke Dual mass flywheel BROKEN

If memory serves me right the SD trucks were all single mass to begin with, however now is the time to ask yourself if you're going to want to add any more power to the truck? if so make sure you buy the clutch that will support your future plans.

dieseltech1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i was told many years ago that the dual mass flywheel was install because of the extreme vibration caused by the diesel engine and with out the dual mass takeing up vibration it can cause the trans bell housing to crack
i have seen this happen on the old 6.9 and 7.3 naturals

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was told many years ago that the dual mass flywheel was install because of the extreme vibration caused by the diesel engine and with out the dual mass takeing up vibration it can cause the trans bell housing to crack
i have seen this happen on the old 6.9 and 7.3 naturals

there are 2 primary ways to control the pulsation from a internal combustion engine and a manual transmission

1. install springs (or other dampening mechanism) in the clutch disc that will take up this pulsation
2. install springs (or other dampening mechanism) in the flywheel.

many manufacturers have gone to option 2 because the extra weight is supported by the crankshaft instead of hanging out on the input shaft of the transmission. and it allows for an overall lighter package which means a more responsive engine and lower rotating mass to give better economy and it can provide better dampening due to the ability to use mass to your advantage

You must use one or the other means of dampening it is possible to take the clutch disc designed for a dual mass flywheel and put it on a single mass flywheel (pressure plates are irrelevant with this discussion) When this is done a tremendous amount of NVH (noise vibration & harshness) are transmitted to the drivetrain, and bellhousing, and as a result things will weaken and break over time. With a proper solid mass flywheel everything will work as expected and occasionally there is gear rollover noise when sitting still idling in neutral.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58