AC Mod

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the coolant is not flowing into the heater core (and obviously not flowing out of the heater core), is this keeping coolant from reaching somewhere in the block where it should be going? Also, does anyone know what size the heater hose is? I'm thinking about installing the ball valve. I guess I could just pick one up from the hardware store along with a few clamps, right?

Drew

No, the heater core is just in the flow stream (loop), from the block, through the core, back to the block.

Look on YOUR hose, for YOUR size. (sometimes.. job to job.. year to year, Ford does strange things)

Will this do it? Inlet and outlet are 3/4", 150psi max, 250* max temp
It claims that minimum temp is 32*, but at that temp I won't be moving the valve so it shouldn't hurt anything right?

Sioux Chief 3/4 in. x 3/4 in. Brass Barb x Barb Ball Valve - 648X93PK1 at The Home Depot

Yes, that would (IMO) work. Jus' be sure the Barb size, will fit inside YOUR hose.

Joe

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about cutting both heater hoses and connecting them together with a union? The coolant could circulate through the block/water pump. Also, the heater core would be closed off for the summer.

:eek: Hmmm, JMO but what PIA that Would be. If yer guna cut the hose.. and install a Union.. why not just install a Ball Valve instead ???

:dunno

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
:eek: Hmmm, JMO but what PIA that Would be. If yer guna cut the hose.. and install a Union.. why not just install a Ball Valve instead ???

:dunno

I would only install a union if the engine block needs the coolant flowing. I wouldn't want to cavitate or overheat something. If it is just in the "loop", then I will install the ball valve. I'm going to try and get a baseline temp coming out of the vents before installing the ball valve. Then I will take a temp reading after.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A/C mod thoughts

I jus' wana throw this in here, for those that may be following this Thread/Post.

Using a manual Ball Valve would work, and be a Cheaper way to do the A/C Mod.

But..... some thought should be given to the fact that Coolant could/would be captured in the Heater Core.. for possibly, months at a time. Not Good. Scale, Snot & Sediment build up.

If you use the vacuum operated valve*.. controlled by the settings knob, as you use the vent controls.. you are occasionally pumping coolant thru the heater core (like Dash Vent Only, on a cool morning or night ?) keeping the heater core, clean and clear of any Build-ups.

Just a Point to Ponder :dunno

Joe

* some have used a switched 12V operated valve.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
to do the ball valve way, you really need three.

you need to isolate the loop to the heater and provide a bypass for the coolant in the system. you need 2 T's and 3 valves.

i will try to draw it in asci text. ignore the periods, they are placeholders

----T---X---- return from heater core
.....|
.....X (bypass loop valve)
.....|
----T---X----supply to heater core

by using the 3-way valve, it has all the chambers and ports built in.
EDIT: its the vavle used in Rangers, Aerostars, Explorers.
Motorcraft F87Z-18495-AA

HEATER-CONTROL-VALVE-Ford-Explorer-Ranger-Aerostar-NEW-for-sale_370369599936.jpg

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
to do the ball valve way, you really need three.

you need to isolate the loop to the heater and provide a bypass for the coolant in the system. you need 2 T's and 3 valves.

i will try to draw it in asci text. ignore the periods, they are placeholders

----T---X---- return from heater core
.....|
.....X (bypass loop valve)
.....|
----T---X----supply to heater core

by using the 3-way valve, it has all the chambers and ports built in.
EDIT: its the vavle used in Rangers, Aerostars, Explorers.
Motorcraft F87Z-18495-AA

The only problem I see with this is that it is cable operated.

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions from the dieselsite.com mod kit? Also, is the supply to the heater core coming from the water pump or the block hose? It makes sense that the supply would come from the water pump, but I could be wrong. Also, check out this link: Everco/Heater Control Valve (74781) | AutoZone.com

dpantazis

Reaction score
that picture is misleading. this is what it should look like. that one looks like its missing the diaphragm actuator.

click here

More Information for MOTORCRAFT YG350

and here

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/g...w=0&dh=0&type=JPG&imagekey=380395-0&width=450

look under the glove box for vacuum hoses.

tapping the red vacuum line will cut off the flow in the bi-level, A/C, Max A/C and vent settings. the white one will cut off the flow in Max A/C only.

red is the line to the Panel-Defrost Door. white is the Air Inlet Door line.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim