anyone have ticking sound while idleing.

powerwasher

08 SD 6.4L Diesel
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had a loud ticking noise while idleing. The noise seems to be coming from the engine compartment. My truck seeems to have it happen more often after the truck is hot and seems to get quieter when engine cools. The dealer said he has seen it on 1 other truck, he called the ford hotline and they know about it but don't know what it is. Any help would be great.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Sticky injector or too much injector pressure?

It's under warranty,I'd run it by the dealer to have them hook up to the truck's computer to see if there's pressure fluctuations in the fuel system.

powerwasher

08 SD 6.4L Diesel
Reaction score
The sound is like, a snapping or arcing noise. It seems to be coming from the engine compartment, if you stick your head in the front wheel well you can hear it.

JRJ04

Reaction score
does it sound like this?

YouTube - 2008 Superduty shoots flames

if so, you might wanna see if its shooting flames out the tailpipe too. there was a recall on this a while back already. I wanna say it had something to do with the particulate filter getting to hot and buring raw fuel? it was a computer glitch that just needed reprogramming. perhaps your rig has a bit more mild of a case, but in any case you should probably take it in

powerwasher

08 SD 6.4L Diesel
Reaction score
no, it does not sound that loud of a noise. I am going to go down to the dealer on wed. to see if i can get an answer. I will let everyone know.

powerwasher

08 SD 6.4L Diesel
Reaction score
Randy,
Let me know what they say. My Dealer said they cant figure it out and the hotline at Ford had no idea what it was.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Yep. I was going to keep this to myself but I test-drove a new F350 that was ticking after about 25 minutes of running and driving time. Truck was a demo and had only 54 miles total. Salesman also informed me that anything other than minor repairs requires the cab comes off. So much for buying an 08. :doh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg