Anyone with a Chipped X?

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Is anyone running a selectable chip on their X and if so which one? I talked to Jody Tipton yesterday and he said there is a problem with the flip chips and the PATS on the Excursions, has to do with the glow plug system for them. He is working on somthing but it may be a while. Now I'm trying to find out what works and what doesnt work for the X's as far as Tuner's and Chips from people who have them.
:thanks
Ryland

turbodave

Turbo Fanatic
Reaction score
bigdaddyTank said:
Is anyone running a selectable chip on their X and if so which one? I talked to Jody Tipton yesterday and he said there is a problem with the flip chips and the PATS on the Excursions, has to do with the glow plug system for them. He is working on somthing but it may be a while. Now I'm trying to find out what works and what doesnt work for the X's as far as Tuner's and Chips from people who have them.
Ryland

There are lot's of folks that have figured out how to get their chips to work with PATS, and not cause any problems. Just going to take some searching.

TTS has always been my favorite. Never the slightest problem.

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/PS_chips.htm

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
I am running a TS 4 position chip 50 75 125 140 HP. You need to make sure to get a chip for a vehicle with California emissions to have the glow plug system work correctly. The pats system gets disabled with this chip and you will have a flashing thief light for a few minutes after start up, any key that has the correct cut will start the truck. I recommend to get something else to disable the starter so the truck not start.
I had some problems with the first chip, NVK4, causing glow plug problems but they re burnt the chip to a UNK0 and all is fine now. My original PCM code is AXD0.
:thumbs :cowboy: :D
FMT

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a Super Chips Micro Tuner. No problem with the PATS if you follow their instructions. (come with it)

Regards,
Dave

CHPMustang

Reaction score
bigdaddyTank said:
Ryland
We really like the SuperChips MicroTuner,have had it programmed into the Excursion since we bought the truck 3 years ago,it's been a 100% trouble free product and the truck has had no ill effects :thumbs

I been seriously looking at the Edge Evolution Programmer as a replacement for it has more features than our 1st Gen SCMT :cowboy:

Bill

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Thanks for the response's guys. I emailed TS about them and will try and call them somtime this week. I really wanted to go with a tuned chip setup to select on the fly.
I have looked at the Superchips and Evo and like you Bill I was leaning towards the Evo, but the Predator makes some good power and the new versions have much lower EGT's than the old ones. My dad really likes his SCT Xcalibrator2 and I know they have them for the 7.3's also so I may look into that.

FMT - They only had to change the code on the chip? Your PCM didnt have to be flashed? Does the chip disable the PATS or is that somthing else that has to be unplugged? Thanks.

turbodave

Turbo Fanatic
Reaction score
FordMastertech said:
I am running a TS 4 position chip 50 75 125 140 HP. You need to make sure to get a chip for a vehicle with California emissions to have the glow plug system work correctly. The pats system gets disabled with this chip and you will have a flashing thief light for a few minutes after start up, any key that has the correct cut will start the truck. I recommend to get something else to disable the starter so the truck not start.
I had some problems with the first chip, NVK4, causing glow plug problems but they re burnt the chip to a UNK0 and all is fine now. My original PCM code is AXD0.
:thumbs :cowboy: :D
FMT

That's why I went with the TTS brand. It's totally compatable with PATS and DOES NOT disable it, or cause any other bazaar stuff like flashing theft light.
And PATS is still intact.

Last edited:

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
I looked at the TTS and it that sounds good but the price is what throw's me, I'm sure its an excellent setup and probably offers better tuning than a programmer like the SCMT or EVO but its a little cost prohibitive for me.

turbodave

Turbo Fanatic
Reaction score
bigdaddyTank said:
I looked at the TTS and it that sounds good but the price is what throw's me, I'm sure its an excellent setup and probably offers better tuning than a programmer like the SCMT or EVO but its a little cost prohibitive for me.

Ya, I know, they're a little pricey. But I've learned a valuable lesson making it to as old as I am. Ya get what ya pay for. Still holds true these days.

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
FMT - They only had to change the code on the chip? Your PCM didnt have to be flashed? Does the chip disable the PATS or is that somthing else that has to be unplugged? Thanks.
The PCM code stayed the same and the chip did disable the PATS system but the thief light flashes like normal so no one will know. I have also rigged some other things that will not allow the vehicle to start but I don't talk about then on these type of forums.
FMT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58