atf

atk

Reaction score
wow, its really quiet all off the sudden.

did i scare you guys?

dp

i think your fuel pump issues are unrelated to the oil additive use. i would be more concerned with gelling and sucking air. i don;t know if the 6.0's had similar fuel pump pick ups with 7.3's.

dp....
right now i am leaning toward sucking air. have noticed before the truck was lasking power on occasion, whether it was stock or had a tune from SCT....i will out be out of warranty in a month, so i am planning to replace the feed line from the tank to the pump. it has been known that the Ford connectors dosen`t always seal properly....also, it hasn`t been that cold here yet for the fuel to gell....

no....just alot of reading

thanks for the info....

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Bama- why are you doing this? What is your goal? Some facts to consider-

1. TCW3 is a lubricant.

2. cetane boosters are basically solvents. they LOWER the BTU's of the fuel, and you WILL get lower mpg's. just like winter fuels vs summer fuels.

oil + solvent => nothing!

Why are you adding cetane booster anyhow? down there in LA, you should not have any issues.

add one OR the other, not both. it might make you feel good, but you are not accomplishing anything by doing it.

the chevy guys Lubricity Additive Study Results summary from a year ago-
Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place

this shows the results of comparing different additives with a standard test. straight B2 is no 1, Optilube (good stuff by all accounts) is 2-4, TCW3 is sample no 7.

Running straight B2 was the best by all accounts. Optilube stuff was next best, TCW3 was up there. curiously, they ran a test if adding used motor oil- results were WORSE than straight fuel!

look at this dodge guy's page-
Failure Facts
highlights-

The 2 cycle oil concept was developed for LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel) designed trucks. (Pre 2007 model year)

DON'T USE 2 CYCLE OIL IN A ULSD DESIGNED VEHICLE! THIS MEANS 2007+ MODEL YEARS.
DON'T USE 2 CYCLE OIL IN A VEHICLE WITH A DPF!

SUGGESTED NOT USE 2 CYCLE OIL IN A VEHICLE WITH A CAT! - jury is still out on this one. i think you would want to run this a little leaner anyhow, like 200:1.

dosage ratios are optimal at 200:1 but can be as high as 100:1. don;t go over 100:1.

red 6.0 no- MN has mandate that ALL OTR diesel is B2 right? you might want to reconsider you dosage and additives.

dp

Some good info dp, I will take it all in.

atk

Reaction score
I haven't had any fuel pump issues whatsoever since I started the TCW3/DieselKleen additive blend 1-year ago. I have to concede though, that Dallas winters are not Ontario winters!

However, I can't concieve how this slim ratio would affect something like a pump. My instinct (without intimate knowledge) is that Alex's failure was coincidental.

Alex, be sure to get back with the results of your theory!

i may do some experiments with the fuel i was using with the additives, but i am thinking it might be an issue with sucking air on the feed line....i will let you know when i find out something....

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
wow, its really quiet all off the sudden.

did i scare you guys?

dp

in one word: YES??

j/k - although it is slightly confusing for my feable mind.

you asked my goals: yes, currently dumping in about 8 oz. of fppf - bottle just about empty then back to DK at 8 oz. all per tank full.

i was told this was just an added bonus to help w/ the fuel - mostly to help increase my cetane rating. (i can't get out of my head what the mechanic said back when my truck had the overhaul done and when i was constantly complaining about the blue smoke - that the higher the cetane the better. that Detroit fuel as it rolls off the factory line is at "as they said - about 50+) as i have been doing this for probably roughly 2 years and it has 99% cut my 'blue smokeing' issue. but as of lately it puffs slightly at a cold morning start up. whatever... and since i have done my doodad mod my mileage has gone up 'in my mind' HUGE.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama- why are you doing this? What is your goal? Some facts to consider-

cetane boosters are basically solvents. they LOWER the BTU's of the fuel, and you WILL get lower mpg's. just like winter fuels vs summer fuels.

oil + solvent => nothing!

Why are you adding cetane booster anyhow? down there in LA, you should not have any issues.

dp

Cetane number or CN is a measurement of the combustion quality of diesel fuel during compression ignition. It is a significant expression of diesel fuel quality among a number of other measurements that determine overall diesel fuel quality. Cetane number of a fuel is defined as the percentage by volume of normal cetane in a mixture of normal cetane and alpha-methyl naphthalene which has the same ignition characteristics (ignition delay) as the test fuel when combustion is carried out in a standard engine under specified operating conditions..

Cetane number is actually a measure of a fuel's ignition delay; the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels. Cetane numbers are only used for the relatively light distillate diesel oils. For heavy (residual) fuel oil two other scales are used CCAI and CII.

Generally, diesel engines run well with a CN from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number which have shorter ignition delays provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the CN is raised past approximately 55; after this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau. In North America, diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 38-42 for regular diesel, and 42-45 for premium. Premium diesel may have additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.
:burnit

So if you add 2 CYCLE OIL to your fuel you need to add more Cetane so it will fire off right.

dpantazis

Reaction score
ditto on Dogman's respone.

people see the 'tane' at the end of Cetane and equate it to octane.

Octane is a measure of anti-detonation ignition in a spark ignition engine. think of detonation as how diesel fuel ignites. since higher performance gas motors have higher compression ratios, they like fuel that behaves less diesel like.

red 6.0 no had engine issues and the stealership gave him a line of bull that he was buying crap fuel- like he was running bunker oil. which is not the case, because MN was an early adopter of USLD and mandated at lease B2 be sold everywhere.

ULSD, in its nature, by removing the sulfur RAISES the cetane number. I have it from first hand speaking to one of BP's fuel engineers that their early ULSD fuel was hitting CN's of 55.

so the bottom line to this i think is this:

Is your happy truck running what you feed it? Are you happy? If not, consider your options carefully. Don't over medicate.

dp
dp

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
OK, i get it and understand that you are saying that the 'pump' fuel is just fine the way it is. that it is a personal preference to put in 'additives' - and to do so at a 'buyer beware' attitude.

NOW, i would have to do some digging into my years past post but iirc i too did some investigating and #2 out of wisconsin was as i was told around 48-52 and fuel here was around 42-46. why that is i am not sure, it is made here and shipped to wisconsin!!?? thinking they don't have the mandates we have here.

fuel is made down the road about 15 miles at the Koch refinery which is a kwik trip product (which is where i buy fuel - truck stops = higher turnover) and superamerica/bp is a Marathon product trucked in from outstate? iirc.

my truck seems to do better at a constant speed (highway travel - long distance) than in-town driving. in-town seems to drink up the go juice rather quickly....

Dennis: currently the grey bottle DK+cetane boost @ 8 oz/tank full ~30 gallons. i toggle back and forth between that one and the white bottle. Yes, i also am currently using the fppf bottle - total power and last used the polar power. just glugged those in cuz it was a black bottle w/ no markings.,....

i was typing this when you pm'd me!

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
:lmao:lmao I was using a plastic Bud Light bottle for awhile to mix in the Diesel Kleen.. Shoulda seen the Looks & Comments I got :rolleyes:

Like: HEY.. that thing'd run better on Coors !!! and the like :lmao

Just tell anyone who asks "You never heard of the song "Whiskey for My Men, Beer for My Horses"? Well, this truck is my horse!:D

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Anybody try TCW3 and care to post your findings? I am curious to hear your thoughts..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58