Auxiliary fuel tank

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a tonneau cover and with the 5th wheel hitch in the back it keeps the ride a bit smoother. Right now I have 200 pounds of logs for the next time I go camping. It all helps.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal best is driving from Pipestone, MN to Plainview, TX in one day. 3 stops for fuel, combined with a bathroom run. No food, little water. 1070 miles. Just me, my 6.0, and a whole lot of the great plains. Next time, I hope I have a bigger fuel tank.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the ability to drive 1500 miles without having to refuel, is massively cool.

And as someone said before, it's all about having options.

For example, the argument that you'll be carrying "500/600/700/800/pick one lbs" extra weight is a bogus because there is nothing preventing you from NOT filling the aux fuel tank unless you want to.

When I'm around town, I put about 30 gallons per month and I don't keep much in my 90 gallon aux fuel tank, so the only dead weight is the tank itself, about a 100 lbs or so, whoopie.

Last year, while on our summer desert trip, we spent several days driving in CA; however, we didn't have to buy not one cent of their overpriced (+50 cents higher) fuel. Hahaha, they got screwed! Yet, when fuel is cheap, you can stock up.

One recommendation I would make is to add a fuel water separator filter to your configuration. Adding another fuel filter is another HUGE advantage to having an aux fuel tank.

Here's how I did mine:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.c...talling an Aux Fuel Tank paper 2007-06-18.pdf

And here's a pic of what my aux fuel filter saved me from in the last two months. Dirty fuel from the aux fuel filter drain (left) vs. clean fuel from the HFCM (right).

Hope this helps.

Al

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice setup Albin.

In our case, we want to use the whole bed when we are not traveling, so the transfer tank is the way to go for us, but your system would be the way to go if you used your truck for long trips all the time.
:sweet

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Nice write-up Al. ;tu
We have very similar tanks, yours the NT vertical 90 and mine the NT vertical 70.
The only downside I see with your setup is that with a gravity feed to the filler neck how does your on board computer give accurate mpg readings? :dunno

Last edited:

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up Al. ;tu
We have very similar tanks, yours the NT vertical 90 and mine the NT vertical 70.
The only downside I see with your setup is that with a gravity feed to the filler neck how does your on board computer give accurate mpg readings? :dunno

Another disadvantage of an aux fuel tank plumbed like mine: there's no practical way to measure fuel mileage. My solution: I don't worry about it. I keep the filters clean, change oil regularly and drive it like I stole it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58