Bama's Xtreme Pickup Bed Make-Over

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I started to install the Truxedo Deuce Soft Tonneau cover yesterday and ran into a few snags.

I was not going to be able to install it properly with the Penda-liner drop in bed liner, so out it came. I also had to removed my 5 drawer tool box at the rear of the bed (to remove the drop-in of course). I also decided to go ahead and remove the 5th wheel hitch (since I no longer tow and can't afford to ever buy another type of trailer, no matter what the reason) and get it out of the way too. I probably freed up about 200 to 250 lbs after removing the above mentioned.

So here is my thought process now.............

I have to do something to cover up all the holes in the bed.

I am thinking about putting either using Ford's Sport Liner (405.00)

sportliner.jpg

Rugged as a bedliner, this carpeted liner will haul lumber, sand and more, yet still cushion your most delicate cargo. Marine-style polyester surface is bonded to foam and will not absorb stains, moisture, rot or mildew. Molded sidewalls conform to the contours of bed retaining features such as two-tier loading and tie downs. Easy to clean

OR............

I am thinking about just dropping in a Ford Rubber Bed Mat (123.50)

bedmat.jpg

Custom-designed, heavy-duty rubber mat to protect your truck bed. Made of reinforced, synthetic rubber that resists cracking or breaking.

The side walls of the bed are in very good shape, with very scuffing from the drop-in bed liner that was in for almost 5 years.

I really like the Sports liner tho, but the cost is really high, unless I can find a good deal on ebay or something.

OH, I also want to add the 2008 Super Duty Bed Extender. (365.00)
bedextender.jpg

What do y'all think? Keep in mind, I am not about to pay retail price. I'm gonna keep my eye out for some deals on ebay and the boards.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Do you haul much in your bed? I have a rubber horse mat in the bottom of mine and it works great but if I was hauling things that would scratch the sides I would go with a spray-in-liner. I like the horse mat better than the thin Ford Rubber Bed Mat as it gives the cargo and bed some cushion. The horse mat is around 3/4" thick.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Bama, I have the rubber bed mat and like it just fine. Every once in a while I haul some dirt or tree limbs, and have to wash under it. But that is rare.

Bed-Extender: You may have experienced one yourself, which will negate any contrary opinion of mine. But, if you have never owned one, I can give you my :2c . When Ford introduced them 5+ years ago, I thought they were the coolest thing! Then I got one on the truck I owned previous to now. That thing was in my way 95% of the time! :cussing: On a rare occasion it came in usefull for what I was doing.

IMHO, if the bed extender is coming with a truck you are buying, that's one thing. But to buy one after the fact? I'd save the $$$ for something practical that you really want. In short, I'll never care to own another one!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Crumm - the only thing about a spray-in liner, is all of the holes I have in the bed. I would have to have them fixed for it to look right. I just don't like them being there, so that is why I would rather cover them up.

Ken - thanks for your input on the bed extender, good advise. I know there are some bed divider/cargo products out there that would be more usefull, just gotta do some research.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Crumm - the only thing about a spray-in liner, is all of the holes I have in the bed. I would have to have them fixed for it to look right. I just don't like them being there, so that is why I would rather cover them up.

If you cover them up they will still be there :D I would weld them up using sheet metal plugs, paint them with rust preventing paint and then spray in liner over the top. Covering the holes with a mat is just asking for rust to set in. At least coat the bare metal parts of the holes with rust preventing enamel.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you cover them up they will still be there :D I would weld them up using sheet metal plugs, paint them with rust preventing paint and then spray in liner over the top. Covering the holes with a mat is just asking for rust to set in. At least coat the bare metal parts of the holes with rust preventing enamel.

Crumm I am with you on this one. I would have some plugs welded into place and paint over them, then rhino line the bed. Bed mats just cover what you don't want to see anymore. JMO.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score

What he said. ;tu

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Why not just put Carriage Bolts in the holes and use a spray in bed liner???

chrome-carriage-bolts.jpg

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58