Batteries, Revisited

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the optimas because thay dont leak my next set will be red tops the wifes exploder will get a standared interstate. The MCs,excides etc have all let me down and I wont wast my money but if it works for you go for it.

Reaction score
I have one Yellow top Optima that I had in my 99 Ford Van. I don't remember the year that I bought it right now - would have to check the top of it. Anyway - after I sold the van I kept the battery and put it in my 2000 F150. Sold that in 2001 for my 2001 F350 - still kept the battery and installed it in my wife's 2000 Crown Vic. That same battery is still working today and it's at least 9 years old - maybe 10.

Currently I run 4 batteries - the two stockers and two auto-zones. The stocks are going on 4 years now and the auto-zones are going on 3 and 1/2 years.

One or more of them are very weak at the moment - so will be replacing all of them in the next few months. I was considering the Red Tops - but may do some snooping around into other brands.

Do we know who manufacturers the Motorcraft batteries?

Ron

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I wonder if Sears no longer carrying the Optima batteries has more to do with them now having an AGM Diehard (store brand) than anything else. Sounds more likely to me. I always heard good about the Optimas. My Interstates have leaked from day one and seem to be getting weak on our colder morning starts.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Sears no longer carrying the Optima batteries has more to do with them now having an AGM Diehard (store brand) than anything else. Sounds more likely to me. I always heard good about the Optimas. My Interstates have leaked from day one and seem to be getting weak on our colder morning starts.

That's what I wundered too.

I listen to Sales folks like "Peanuts" listens to Adults, on his Cartoons. But if there was Any truth to what was said, It's worth being aware of. I DID call another store and was told the same thing.. But that could be what All store employees are instructed to say: Push the Die-Hards.. we no longer carry X brand because.. BLA, BLA, BLA. Al tho I can't help but think that >MAYBE< there's something more behind it. Maybe not.

I've learned 2 things from this adventure tho.

1. Don't EVER alert anyone about ANYTHING, and mention the Brand, model or size. If it doesnt meet your expectations. On the Internet

2. Add BATTERIES.. to the Oil brand & weight, Oil Filter brand, Lubricant brand, Air filter brand & style.. or the Store/Site where you bought it (?) to my list of... "Things Not To Post about"... Anywhere on the Internet.

WOW :lmao :) ;) :lmao

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we know who manufacturers the Motorcraft batteries?

Ron

Ron, I also found out that most batteries are made by three manufacturers. Delphi produces AC Delco and most of WalMart and Sam's Club's Everstart batteries. Exide batteries are sold with Exide, Napa, and Champion brand names. Johnson Controls manufactures Sears DieHard, AutoZone DuraLast, Interstate, Ford Motorcraft, and more.

I haven't replaced my batteries yet, but I'm leaning toward the DuraLast at AutoZone.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forgot 1 large manufacturer, Deka/East Penn Mfg. Co. They make batteries for Wonch, Taylor Battery Systems, Exxon, Sunoco, several others, and the military. Keith

Last edited:

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow!
a lot of info. I just replaced both of my original MC, after 39 months one battery went bad.
I went to Advance auto because it was close and I was in a hurry.
The sales rep told me that optima did not even list a battery to fit my truck.
So I took the best they had titanium, 36 month free replacement, with a 84 month warranty. $180 and some change for two.
Hope they do Ok.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a Johnson Controls plant here in tampa and you get no slack in getting batterys. I just replaced both my batterys with the biggest I could get my hands on at the time witch is MC, 60 month free replacement, 875cc, at $194 bucks for a set.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
You forgot 1 large manufacturer, Deka/East Penn Mfg. Co. They make batteries for Wonch, Taylor Battery Systems, Exxon, Sunoco, several others, and the military. Keith

add the names Deka and Douglas to that list...

last year a woman was driving by the shop and her car died at the light.. we ran out and shoved it into a corner to get it out of the way..

she ground and ground and ground and ground and ground and ground and ground and ground and ground and GROUND and ground and ground and ground and GROUND on that thing trying to get it to start (the timing chain jumped on an old 3.8L GM but she didn't want to listen to us)... the next morning, the boyfriend shows up and ground and ground and ground and GROUND some more...

I finally got tired of listening to it and went out to try and talk some sense into the boyfriend... which I was successful at..

it had a NAPA battery in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58