Best route to pull a 5th wheel

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several years ago (2003) we took our fiver to New Orleans, and I-10 from Baton Rouge to New Orleans was really rough in lots of places. The whole rig was bouncing up and down like a bucking horse.

thats all been resolved...i just ran it from houston to mobile, alabama
(where i turned north to go up to asheville, nc)....

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
We probably would get run over, :eek:
because when pulling the 5er, I just put it on cruise control at 60 mph and enjoy looking at the scenery.

You dont use cruise in HOTlanta, or you will be killed.

Just keep an eye out for all the idiots that live there and you will be fine.

be especially careful at "spagetti junction" where I-285 & I-85 twist around each other like 2 snakes.

HiVoltage

High Wood Walker
Reaction score
As you come through NY city I would adivse you to bypass the George Washington Bridge and especiallly the cross bronx expressway. It can be a parking lot, major pot holes, no shoulder and full of idiots. Especially with a trailer in tow.

Take route 287 Tappan Zee bridge then 287west back to I95 and follow that up through CT and new england.

the hutchinson and merrit parkways in NY and CT do not allow trailers or have the clearance you will require.

buy a EZ pass for the tolls

drive safe and have a great trip;tu
Yep, I second all that cableguy says.You'd look pretty silly parked under one of those 10' bridges on the Rte 15 parkway!And definately on the 287 route around the city,I think it's about 18 or so miles longer,but time wise and aggravation wise it's well worth it. Happy Motoring!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
We are going to take our time, and if it works out, we want to see as many of you as we can. We will have our laptop with us, and will let everyone know where we are, so if anyone wants to visit, we will be glad to see you.
Stop and go traffic, and or heavy traffic is not good for this old guy. We want to take a scenic and leisurely trip. Also we need to be concerned about bridge or tunnel heights. We need 14 ft to clear the unit, and another 8 inches to clear the antenna. We will be going through Texas on our way to Florida, but we should be north, going through Amarillo and Wichita Falls. Anyone close to either city? Then Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, and down to Florida.
I don't really want to go through Atlanta, but we might have to.

Bangor Maine... :D

Merry Christmas everyone...
And thanks for each and every response.
Closest I am is Dallas but if you plan to come thru our part of north Texas lemme know we'll hook up for a meet n greet. Left you a PM as well.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all goes well, we should be in Arlington Texas to visit friends.
We plan on spending about a week at the Grand Canyon, and then head east.
A couple of days in Arlington, then up to Pawhuska Oklahoma for a couple more days then two weeks in Branson Missouri, then head southeast. If we like a place, we will stay and enjoy the area, then move on to the next place. We do not have a time schedule, except we want to be back in Redding before the snow flies in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and Utah. Probably November.

Went today to do the pre-op before surgery tomorrow, and found out from the nurse that the surgeon that is doing my surgery has not done to many neck surgeries :eek: :eek:
:watchout

Bad time to find this out. :goodluck

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I'll second Big Joe's route. We use a route a little further west when we go to Buffalo that is pretty good but I doubt you want to go that far west (I-79 and I-77). We live just off of I-95 (GA) between exits 29 and 14. There are a few good truck stops at exit 29. Let us know when you plan on coming through and good luck with the surgery.

Scott

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
...from Florida to Maine, ...go I-95north to I-26, at Asheville NC, I-181 north to I-81. I-81 all the way to Binghamton NY, then I-88 to Albany. Then US-2 over to I-91, north to US-2 again.. brings you out at Skowhegan Ma, couple more miles and yer in Bangor. As many times as we've done that route.. the Scenery always changes or looks different, some how.

The best, best part is... You do don't have to deal with ANY of the BIG East Coast Cities.

Traffic is Traffic. I run with the trucks, and give way to the trucks. Been There Done That (OTR).. Run with'm not Against'm... makes for a leisurely drive. Actually FUN work'n with'm.. If you know what I mean ?

Max, I am a former BIG-RIG owner/operator...and BIG JOE's route is rock-solid! I-81 is the best option, misses all of the big cities, and you'll see a lot of beautiful countryside. ;tu The only thing you will need to be mindful of is the weather ...especially in up-state NY. Lake-effect snow can be a problem. :red If big snow is expected, you have a lot of opportunities to turn east and get back to I-95.

Working WITH the trucks is also a good tip! Most of those guys are pro's, and simply need to know what you are going to do.

Be safe!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58