Best route to pull a 5th wheel

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
others will chime in here as well, im sure... BUT
as far as i know theres no reduced speed for trailers...for 18wheelers
YES there is but not as far as i know <in virginia> for travel trailers etc.

for all the "towing" ive done back and forth hauling cars and household
goods between houston & virginia i far exceeded the posted limits (except
in virginia) w/out an issue.

when i hit the virginia line, going north...i immediately shut it down
to a cruise control REGULATED 72mph (and RARELY was there any
passing goin' on)...even the tractor trailers that i was "traveling w/"
backed it down @ the state line.

route 11 <from harrisonburg, va to kernstown, va> would provide
you w/ a NICE small town ride...lots of 1stop light towns <and most of those
are BLINKING stop-lights> ;)

as you get closer, revisit this a little and ill point out the REAL <local>
ball busters <for speeding>...shenandoah county, va being the TOP of
the list.

remember virginia is the state that instituted a HEAVIER fine (3000+ bucks)
for speeding to its own state licensed drivers !

That type of fine would ruin a nice vacation. I once got a $25 fine for doing 161 mph in a 55 zone in Nevada. I took a picture of the fine, for posterity.
:D
Of course it was during a race, where they radar you on the course. 161 was our average.
Homepage Main Menu: Flat Out On A Public Highway! (home.htm)

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
MAX-
95 in CT is under serious construction, and has VERY HEAVY traffic at am/pm rush hours....but its still the easiest and quickest (legal) route if you are going through to RI. you have a few options when you get to the east side, but i have run them all with roughly the same results so whatever you feel like doing will work just fine.

DEFINATLY GIVE US A SHOUT WHEN YOU ARE COMING THROUGH!

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAX-
95 in CT is under serious construction, and has VERY HEAVY traffic at am/pm rush hours....but its still the easiest and quickest (legal) route if you are going through to RI. you have a few options when you get to the east side, but i have run them all with roughly the same results so whatever you feel like doing will work just fine.

DEFINATLY GIVE US A SHOUT WHEN YOU ARE COMING THROUGH!

Thanks Zookie;

I plan on posting our location as we travel, and hope that whoever would like to see us would let us know where to meet them.
First trip is to Quartzsite Arizona, and we are leaving around the 16th or 17th of this month. Anyone on the I-5 that we can stop and see, let us know. In April we will be heading east. We thought about going from Redding down south via hwy 395 which is much more scenic than I-5, but in January there are not to many campgrounds open down hwy 395. Also from Bridgeport to Bishop, it is very cold this time of year at the 5000 ft. to 8,500 ft altitudes. Chances of snow are very likely.
When we go tour the country, we will not be in a hurry, so we would like to meet as many forum members as possible.
April will be here soon, and we can hardly wait.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
If your trip takes you along I-59 goin N thru AL, I could meet cha along exit 181. There is a Petro fuel stop, Austin's Steak House, Cracker Barrel (my personal favorite ;) )

Just keep it in mind Max. :sweet

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your trip takes you along I-59 goin N thru AL, I could meet cha along exit 181. There is a Petro fuel stop, Austin's Steak House, Cracker Barrel (my personal favorite ;) )

Just keep it in mind Max. :sweet

On first glance on my map program, I see I-78 from Memphis Tn. through Birmingham, on the way to Daytona Beach, where it looks like it intersects 59. Where are you from there?

Nothing east of Branson is cut in stone yet, so we might not be taking I-78. Right now, our trip is only cut in stone to Branson. After that, its all open.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can be at the intersection of 78 & I-59 in just over an hour.

That is great. As we head east from Memphis, I will post our eta to be there.

It should be sometime in May, because we plan to spend a week at the Grand Canyon, a couple of days in Arlington Tx. and another couple of days in Pawhuska Ok. and two weeks in Branson.

And by the way,, just got back from the doctor, and biopsy was negative..I am good to go....
Life is good.

:bama

:sweet

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58