best way for stacks?

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you go into the bed before you split them apart you will be able to set them wider in the bed. If you split them under the truck, you'll be limited in your width by the frame rails. My opinion is the wider the stacks are set apart, the better they look (as long as they're inside the bed).

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
whats the most common size? i see alot of people have 5" stacks. im most likely gonna do stacks in the near future and dont want them to look too small or too big.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaggy said:
whats the most common size? i see alot of people have 5" stacks. im most likely gonna do stacks in the near future and dont want them to look too small or too big.

JMO, stick to the 5". I've seen a few around here, (Dodges), with bigger pipes. Just looks too out of place.

FWIW

Barrett

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's ugl when you can see them splitting on top of the bed, reminds me of a body lift, you can see everything that's going on

JMO it looks classier with them splitting under

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
What if you had a long bed rig and then put a shortbed with stack between the cab and the bed, adding a fuel tank between the stacks and called her good?

BlueMule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mech2161 said:
I built my own. Brought the y-pipe up in the center of the bed. This way the smoke blows even out the stacks, not one then the other. I picked up all the parts at a NAPA truck store.

How did you manage to get the pipe through the center? That's where the driveshaft is!

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
you could always just weld up a box out of diamond plate or flat stock and paint it to cover the horizontal sections of pipe.

ive heard theres clearence issues with splitting under the bed. ill have to put my truck up on a lift at work one of these days to map it all out.

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah -my buddy has them split under the bed. Pipes are all twisted and flattened to avoid the tank. When he gets on it -smoke comes out of one pipe....then the other.

Someone told me last night about a site that has the cover for the y pipe already made. Anyone seen them? He said they cost little more than the steel (otherwise I'd wait til it gets slow and fab one).

:burnit

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I have seen one dodge do this, and heard of some others.....
-get a piece of square tubing bigger than the diameter of the stacks,
-weld a cap on both ends of the tubing to make a big box,
-cut holes at both ends for each stack,
-weld a small piece of pipe to each hole to attatch stacks,
-on the bottom cut a hole and weld a small piece of pipe were ever your pipe under the truck is,
-then all you need to do is get 1 90* elbow to go from under truck to the piece off the bottom of you "box"
-paint the box with high temp paint and bolt it down

i can try to get pics, hope i didnt confuse ya

Neal

brapp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
that sounds liek a good idea but what woudl it do as far as egt's? and why cant i use a piece of 4 inch round tubing off of a 90 comin trough the bed and into a 5 inch tube and just put 90's on each end and set my stacks on there? would this work you guys think?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14