Big Oil Spy Shots

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
interesting, i sort of lost the trail on this Big oil stuff
but using the IH res to drive a pump is very nice idea.
with the flow and pressures needed, i was wondering why no one is also chasing the hydraulic pumps like we used in the service, on a few aircraft, severe duty,
there are many 5000psi high flow pumps out there that arent much bigger than a hpop,

crumms first pic looked like that was teh way it was going.
thanks again crumm

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
i bookmarked a guy on webshots a while back who has pics of the lower pump and internals. i suspect he is from the dark side- byron909

http://community.webshots.com/album/54701954RsTFrJ

and there are pics for the power steering outlet mods too in a nother album of his.

i know enough to not know what i am looking at. maybe someone else can enlighten us n00bs.

dp
byron909 is better known as beddins, byron eddins.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
this is the one and only post on this thread from as i have my thoughts on this.

i lied

ok now that my brain is functioning half correct.

what happens when the hydraulic pump sucks the reservoir dry?with the volume of oil that pump can flow i highly doubt the lube oil pump is gonna keep the reservoir full.and as i know hydraulic pumps are good at sucking oil whats to say it is isnt gonna drain lube oil system and starve the rod/main bearings of oil?what about gear mesh?the ford timing cover is not machined for running the IH powersteering pump setup.what do you do about metal shaveings?there is a reason for filters on hydraulic systems.what about if the pump siezes up?it gonna tear the timing gears apart something fierce.what about aeration of the oil?you have 2 pumps sucking oil from the same reservoir.one of them is gonna be suckin air at some point.and as we all know air and metal shaveings aint good for the injectors.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the lube oil supply in the very limited hpop resivior would need to be supplemented, thats an easy fix with an external resivior as a back up of sorts and return from hpop UNused oil, which really is not that much it only uses a very small amount of oil to fire the plunger compared to teh PSI available, its all pressure here and not flow
so to speak the

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
which really is not that much it only uses a very small amount of oil to fire the plunger compared to teh PSI available, its all pressure here and not flow

PB, you on the right track here, our buddy Rich is straining his brain when he doesn't have to. This pump does nothing more than the stealth does, they both will provide higher pressure to the rails. There is no increased volume of oil, there can't be. and if their is a slight volume increase, it goes back to the sump just ever so slightly quicker......The pump above I think is the basis for the generation 3 that swamp has out now in limited production/real world testing, they obviously know how it works and first observations have been that it works very well. It's gonna be interesting to watch how it compares down the road to the stealth/terminator/BTS duals......

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
3-StarJ.R. said:
The pump above I think is the basis for the generation 3 that swamp has out now in limited production/real world testing.
I believe that to be the key.. The pumps in the pictures in my first post have never been touched by Swamp. They are a homebuilt setup that is currently being tested in real world conditions. From what I have read Swamp has a very similar setup in the testing stages. Lets not pick it apart until we see if it works. Big oil is something that the guys wanting big power need. This idea looks to me to be the best setup so far but it could end up as a total failure but lets not give it the reputation of being junk before it even starts getting built. It could also be a setup that you could buy the parts for and build yourself if it works out. There are many things that could make it a failure but there is no reason that little problems could not be worked around. At this time I have no need for big oil but it is interesting too see the developments -popcorn

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
im not worried about the extra volume of oil.im more worried about the gear setup.the ford timing cover is not machined like the international timing cover is for the correct tolerances need for the extra gear.if the hydraulic pump they are useing happens to sieze up for whatever reason whats gonna happen?it sure the hell aint gonna shear the shaft off the pump and safe the gears.ill stick with my stealth.

bullridin_fool

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
how is it going to suck the res. dry any faster than the other dual hpop set-up's? what is the flow of the gear pump,as you seem to know? i would imagine if for some ungodly reason the pump set-up i'd imagine it would shear the key. also what would happen if the stealth pump "set-up" or the factory pump set-up? i don't see why this pump won't work. if there happened to be some metal shaving's off the gear, (which i doubt) i would imagine they would get caught in the oil filter. the gears wouldn't be in the reservoir. also from what i can see the two pumps are sucking there oil from the bottom of the res. at about the same height.

take it easy
bullridin_fool

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
first i dont know what make or model the pump they are using is so i dont know and cant find the flow numbers.

youre not gonna sit there and tell mee that both pumps are getting thier oil supply from the same spot.look at the top pump,its getting its supply from the EOT sensor then pumps it into the back of the stock pump.if you go into my moddifying 94-95 timing cover thread and look at the pictures i have of the timing cover you will see that the stock HPOP gets its oil supply from the bottom left cavity in the timing cover.

im talking about shaveing and filings from the internal gears not the external drive gears.metal shavings from the gears ARE NOT gonna go through the oil filter before it hits the injectors.the hydraulic pump is pumping its oil straight into the stock HPOP and out of the stock pump to the heads and into the injectors.wheres the oil filter in this path?

another issue with hydraulic pumps is the size of the inlet/outlet lines.without holding the pump in my hand again i dont know the flow rates for it but the outlet line looks alittle small for that pump now factor in the restrictions from the stock pump and lines.may end up with too much back pressure that will either blow a line or sieze the pump.

and on this note i am done with this thread.sure it may work but i doubt it will work for long before it trashes something :sorry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14