BOOST?

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im curious, what kind of boost pressures are you guys seeing with your mods? Looking for the more modded guys really. 7.3s or 6.0s. Preferably 7.3s.

I know the factory turbo on stock +99 7.3s is no more than around 21PSI but no less than 15PSI at WOT, that sound about right?

Im curious with aftermarket turbos with just about every supporting mod for performance with or without propane/methanol/or nitrous, how much boost is too much on the factory longblock?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I see 26-27 at about 3000 rpms at WOT with the 1.0 exhaust housing. I think I would hit a couple more pounds if I put the later model wheel back in.

The stock thrust bearing is rated for 25psi, but the turbo is capable of 30+. It just takes enough fuel and some wastegate adjustment or a Banks Bighead Actuator.

As of the moment there are only 2 bolt on aftermarket turbos. Both capable of 40psi. After 40psi head studs are required! If you have forged rods, people have produced 450-500hp monsters with good tuning and made them live.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
As of the moment there are only 2 bolt on aftermarket turbos. Both capable of 40psi. After 40psi head studs are required! If you have forged rods, people have produced 450-500hp monsters with good tuning and made them live.

40 psi? man thats alot of intake pressure. :)

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Lord Tauk said:
Im curious, what kind of boost pressures are you guys seeing with your mods? Looking for the more modded guys really. 7.3s or 6.0s. Preferably 7.3s.

I know the factory turbo on stock +99 7.3s is no more than around 21PSI but no less than 15PSI at WOT, that sound about right?

Im curious with aftermarket turbos with just about every supporting mod for performance with or without propane/methanol/or nitrous, how much boost is too much on the factory longblock?
With my Juice on 75 horse I'll see 26. The redline for the stock turbo is 25. I do not have a MAP blowoff, so at about 25.5, it defuels, so I'm convinced that is why I cannot see any more than 26 lbs. Probably could go more if I was worried about it, but I kind of like my turbo.....

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I have a dual relief valve, but I would set the SES without it. I think it set the SES and defuels around 25psi.

DZL_X_4x4

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
With my Stage 1 single shots, DP-Tuner 80 Econo-tune and tiny early 99 turbo, I've been seeing 28 to 30 depending on outside temp & baro pressure.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Before my stock turbo was trashed, I could hit 32psi with no problems on the EXTREME Tony burn. :burnit
With the new stock turbo I have the chip set to tow and it limits the turbo to about 25 psi and the CEL stays off.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl