BOOST?

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know guys. Thanks for all who replied, gave me a general idea on how much boost I'd see on the mods everyone does.

How do the relief valves work to only give 25 PSI to the MAP Sensor, so that the CEL doesnt activate, and defuel? Bleed off pressure beyond 25PSI?

I was a little curious after reading and reading on here about the CEL and defueling with 'overboosting', then guys with custom burned chips, boxes, programmers running +30PSI on stock/aftermarket turbos.. I guess the tuning takes out the defueling but no way around the CEL from coming on?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I don't think programmers can remove the defuel function from the PCM. That's why the use of a MAP "fooler" is needed, only let's the sensor see less than 25 psi usually around 22 since some trucks start to defuel at that point.

I currently use a pressure relief valve AKA BPRV. Essentially it's a boost leak before the MAP sensor bleeding off anything above what it's set at. Another option is a quality air pressure regulator set to about 22psi, anything over 17psi tells the PCM to go to max fuel tables. I eventually plan on switching to this setup to eliminate the "boost leak." Just my opinion though.:)

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, that clears somethings up for me, Rooster.

I've seen the relief valves before, but wasn't sure if it was the best way to go to avoid the CEL. I guess it really doesn't matter aslong as you come up with another setup as a pressure reg like you mentioned. Just a preference if you want to have a "boost leak" or not.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my signature i forgot to add i have a map maximzer installed inline with my map sesnsor so it will not read any boost over 25psi, but with my after market boost gauge installed in the AIH hole i read as high as 28lbs (cold weather also helps)

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I was planning for the long run;

For performance; the suggested aftermarket gauges (boost, trans and exhaust temps), Edge EZ, 4'' MBRP stainless turboback, and AFE's Stage 2. Anyone suggest anything else to add that I'm missing? Keep in mind, this is just for performance, I already got aftermarket stuff like a coolant filter in the mix of things to buy.

Will this combination put my stock turbo or longblock (rods) on borrowed time? Also with my selection, will I see more than 20 pounds of boost? Meaning, I'd need a MAP Fooler along with my list.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I was wondering, I know that the duel pressure relief valve will take care of the MAP sensor, but what about the wategate? Does it open with a diaphragm valve. I put a boost tube from Blackcloud on mine it was on $6.00. Some people just plug them off. I don't know was just wondering?

Thanks
DZL_X_4x4

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
The solenoid that has the green and red tubes going to it controls when boost is allowed to get to the actuator. The solenoid allows ~5psi through at WOT to help control backpressure, at least on my truck it did(I checked with my boost gauge.)

The boost tube you installed bleeds off that 5psi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14