Bought a house (on wheels)

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Yeah the Shorty will handle it just fine. :tounge I plan to purchase the Colibert rail rider hitch that hooks right up to my B&W, even though its over $900 :eek:
I paid $24k for it, which is trade in value, so I think i did OK.
I was actually looking for a 5ver without the extended pin box because it would hit my side tool boxes when it swings. I have to do a little measuring to make sure I'll be ok with that slider and all before I go pick it up in spring ;)

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Where are you planning on wintering?

Is Powerboatr's RV Park & Marina taking reservations yet??

No, I will have enough room in the back of my new shop (being put up this spring) to park it inside when in gets cold. Not exactly ideal, but for just 2 of us, it should let us get by for a year or 2 before we build a house. I hate paying rent.

Last edited:

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice setup.

Hey TailGunner, an ole Chief needs some of your learned advice. I have an '08 SD250 HD with the 8' bed and I pull a 35' Carriage CKQ with an extended neck hitchpin (factory installed so no problems there). Before trading my old truck I pulled out the Reese 16K double-swivel Slider, minus the rails, planning to install new rails in the new truck (to ensure the proper fitting). Now to the needed advice part: What are your thoughts regarding a properly mounted slider in the long bed. My initial thoughts are I gain manuverability, the ability to shift more weight to the trucks front end, and a lot smoother ride.

Thanks for your input, and also anyone else's if they want to chime in.

Jimmy t.
An Ole CMSgt

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:There's an Old Adage that sez: There are those that Have.. Nail'd their RV, with their Tail-Gate whilst Back'n up to Hook & Unhook....... Then there are those who haven't Nail'd it......... YET !;):D
Yep, been there, done that in 1996 with our first fiver and my 93 F150.

Roy, that's a very nice fiver. Hope you enjoy it.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Nice setup.

Now to the needed advice part: What are your thoughts regarding a properly mounted slider in the long bed. My initial thoughts are I gain manuverability, the ability to shift more weight to the trucks front end, and a lot smoother ride.

Thanks for your input, and also anyone else's if they want to chime in.

Jimmy t.
An Ole CMSgt

Mounting a slider in a long bed is not needed usually. A long bed truck has enough clearance between the trailer hitch pin and the back of the truck's cab. There shouldn't be any contact issues unless the turn angle is near 90* or more (jack-knife).

The only time I ever sold a slider/roller hitch to anybody with a long bed truck, was a guy who was planning on trading in for a short bed truck in the future and wanted to keep his hitch.

Bed rails & frame mounting kits come with installation instructions that are pretty specific on where the bed rails and frame brackets need to be mounted. Bed rails are the same as far as the center holes where the fifth wheel hitch drops in. The mounting holes in the ends of the rails differ from company to company. To make this story shorter, Valley/ Husky bed rails are the ones I recommend.

Now here's a little tid bit most folks don't know. Valley/Husky have many different frame mounting kits depending on year, make, model of the truck. There are some trucks (99-06? F-250/ F-350) that have 2-3 options. The general rule of thumb is keep the hitch pin DIRECTLY ABOVE THE REAR AXLE. This is for safety and handling reasons. But because diesel engines are so much heavier than gassers, it is possible (with the right bracket kit) to fudge the hitch position 1"-2" to the rear without compromising those handling & safety concerns. This can give you a little bit of extra room when doing those tight turns.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14