Brake Job

up_roktoy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ditto:

I opted for the cheapo's on my 03 and they warped almost instantly. thankfully I was selling the truck anyway so I didn't have to deal with it for long.
That was nice of you :rolleyes:

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
Hoss,

I wouldnt even waste the time and money in turning the rotors. If they are warped now, and u turn them, they will warp very soon once again. Just buy some good aftermarket rotors and pads. And dont forget, and i mean dont forget to lube the slide pins good. Very easy job

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to upgrade to the Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads. Once you do that you will never go back to the factory setup or any chepo replacement.

I can honestly say my truck stops like a sports car.

http://www.dfuser.com/catalog/powerslot.php

Feel free to call me and I'll explain in more details.

Bill

Why do you not have a listing for early '99 trucks?

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the 'life time replacement' rotors from O'riley Auto and the 'heavy duty' pads. Trucks stops great and with the $$$ I saved bought some beer for my buddies that helped me do the brake job.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
You need to upgrade to the Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads. Once you do that you will never go back to the factory setup or any chepo replacement.

I can honestly say my truck stops like a sports car.

http://www.dfuser.com/catalog/powerslot.php

Feel free to call me and I'll explain in more details.

Bill

DITTO!DITTO!!DITTO!!!

I have a set on my 94 Silverado and won't go back to stock. You might also want to throw on a set of braided steel lines to finish the package.

Brakes jobs on our trucks are about as easy as you're going to find on any vehicle. All you have to do is unbolt the caliper (a couple of bolts), pull out the pads, hang the caliper out of the way, and pull the rotor off. That's it! We don't have to worry about combination hubs/rotors (like my Chevy), which means no bearings, races or seals to mess with. If you are still unsure, subscribe to an online service, such as ALLDATA. They list everything, from maintenance to specifications, recall and TSB's. They also have a section that allows you to fill out a work order, just like a professional shop, for your records.

Just keep in mind that our trucks are heavy duty and so are the parts. Everything is bigger, beafier and heavier than a car or half ton. As a result, they also cost more than a standard vehicle. Watch your fingers, toes and back. Finally, INVEST IN A GOOD SET OF TOOLS! Don't use China Freight wrenches on the caliper bolts or to torque anything. These things are garbage and will either round off the heads or break when you use them, causing untold pain and suffering, to knuckles, backs, knees, etc...

I hope this helps. Good luck.

JRJ04

Reaction score
i need to do a brake job on my truck and have never done a brake job on a vehicle before. do you all think i can handle this? do you need to tighten everything back up to a specific torque amount? I am not near my mechanic (back in houston) and dont really want to take my truck in to just anyone in college station. is this doable to do i need to get it home and have it done?

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
i need to do a brake job on my truck and have never done a brake job on a vehicle before. do you all think i can handle this? do you need to tighten everything back up to a specific torque amount? I am not near my mechanic (back in houston) and dont really want to take my truck in to just anyone in college station. is this doable to do i need to get it home and have it done?

Read my post. The only special tools you will need (if you do this yourself) is a torque wrench, a floor jack and set of jackstands and a Haynes or Chiltons manual for torque specs. Otherwise, ensure you spray all the bolts with penatrant first. And have a couple of cans of brake cleaner on hand. This can be done in a driveway in a couple of hours. Also keep in mind that the lugs on your truck are high torque (should be well over 200 ft. lbs) and will take some effort to get them on and off. Everything else is cake.:GRD

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200lbs !?! the ones on my truck are 150 ft lbs !!!!
dont over tighten the lug nuts and tighten 'em EVENLY
to prevent warping and uneven brake/rotor/pad wear

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
BUSHPILOTS right. 150 lbs. ft is your torque. Check with manuals to be 100%. I second what he says about even torque (cross bolt torque pattern).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg