Can anyone tell me what to use to clean the injector tips?

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
We are in the process of R&R of the injector cups in our 1997 F350 CC, and there is a small amount of what I guess to be some type of build up on a couple of the injectors.

My question is what we can safely use to remove that build up before reinstalling them?

We had to replace the cups as we were getting diesel over in our coolant reservoir. We could very easily see where one cup was cracked from top to bottom. As much as I would like to put Bean's Stage 1 injectors in, I just don't have the extra finances for that at this time.

The truck ran with just a very very small "miss", but never lost power and never refused to run.

One thing we did find out when we opened her up, was that the guy we purchased the truck from lied to us. He told us he had never been into the injectors, just there was still a socket attached under the valve cover, and all 8 injectors were missing the middle O-ring. Also, the bottom O-rings were all very loose and definitely not the correct size for the injectors.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
got pics of the injectors or the truck
in school we used stoddard solvent and a nylon tooth brush
to clean before teardown.

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
We just want to clean off the crap that is on the tip of the injector. There is some residue, I am sure from the diesel/coolant mixture, and there is some, I guess it is, carbon buildup.

We are not going to tackle cleaning the innards of the injectors unless there is a method for an unexperienced person to do.

Here are some pictures you asked for....

100_0950.jpg

100_0949.jpg

100_0948.jpg

100_0947.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the missing O-ring as well as the O-ring on the bottom of the injector that is the wrong size. We ordered new O-ring kits for all of the injectors, and we have replaced all the cups. We are replacing the valve cover gaskets, the harnesses under the VCG, replacing the main wiring harness ends and also replacing the glow plugs since we are in there.

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
You asked for pictures of the truck....
What kind of pictures of the truck do you want?
Just let me know and I will go out and snap some for ya...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
looks like normal carbon build up on the tip
yep try some light brushing with some stoddard solvent and a soft toothbrush. and dont go poking stuff in the orifice holes
as for the appaerance of the photo i would say the inj has been vibrating and getting some nice coking on the upper body near the middle o ring,
but not that bad, how many miles on them?
tearing them down, cleaning and buildup needs to be done in a clean room.

followed by testing in a fixture for spray and operation and leak down.
I miss that stuff,

pics of the stacks? the truck looks very clean and well balanced with the lift and tires in the avatar.
also get a lint free cloth to wipe them off before re-insertion not a paper towel.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
after manipulating the picture
i would say its carbon build up on the tip, unburnt coked on fuel and other stuff that goes on during combustion and after shut down

also it appaers but i cant be sure that it has some ersosion or scoring on the edge of the tip.
but it could be the angle of the shot

Last edited:

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
Well, the picture in my avatar is the picture that was sent to me before I bought the truck.

In that picture it had a 9"+ lift and 17" tires on it. I had him lower it 3" and change the tires to 16"... When it got here, none of my trailers would work with it being so high, so we took it in and had the lift redone. Good thing too as I did not know that the lift on the truck was ILLEGAL. Also, had I hit another bump, the entire front end would have fallen off the truck, so now the lift is correct, it is a suspension lift instead of a block lift????. I believe they put some kind of leaf on it, which lowered the truck where it needed to be for the gooseneck, but it doesnt look as though it was lowered that much.

We took off the stabilizer bars and the 6, yes 6, blocks which is how the rear end was lifted. The block in the front had the wings sawed off (the wings that went down the sides of the frame) and on the drivers side, the hole in the block had been wallowed out and was broken out the side and the truck was falling off of the frame/block....

The truck is much tighter now and the rear does not drop down when we load either the gooseneck horse trailer or the bumper pull trailer with the Bobcat/accessories on it.

Here is a picture of how the stacks are installed....note the propane tank that I had the guy remove....
FORDTRUCK005.jpg

The truck has a SuperChip in it, which I need to research about them, and it has an exhaust brake installed.
The truck was an automatic, but was changed over to a 5speed.

I do understand that it has an intercooler on it but that has not been hooked up, so I have to do some research on that as well.

I was told that he beefed up the Turbo on it, but I don't know what that means nor do I know what he did to beef it up....more research

I don't have really any complaints about the truck, we love it and we definitely love the power it has, and definitely the look of the truck, but as with anything you buy used, you are gonna find things that have to be fixed or replaced...

Of course, we are looking at ways to enhance the truck and the trucks power, so we are always open to suggestions....

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
Let me go take some more pictures of the tips and see if I can get them closer for you to see.............BRB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14