Can anyone tell me what to use to clean the injector tips?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
YEP the stacks look sweet

I am restricted to under the truck exhaust due to my fiver

6In blocks out back and blocks up front. wow talk about not good.

almost as bad as folks cutting leaf springs down to use as blocks

upgrade turbo could be many things, a ball bearing turbo, wicked wheel , etc
is the intercooler in the truck already?

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
Ok, I just took a bunch of pics of 2 of the injectors, with close ups of the tips, but instead of tying up space here, I will post a link to where you can go to see them, but I will post a couple here. You can go to
http://http://photobucket.com/albums/v330/Baydancer/Injectors/ to see the pictures I uploaded.

Ok, here are a couple......

This is a close up of one of the tips:
100_0957.jpg

On all of the injectors, in almost the identical spot, there is a "stain" on them, any idea of what that might be?
Here is a picture of 2 injectors side by side showing it, and the next picture will be a kinda close up of it on one injector.

100_0975.jpg

135fe289.jpg

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
YES, The intercooler is in the truck, just not hooked up. He said we would just need some pipe to hook it up? Again, something new to us, so gotta figure out how to do it. Hubby is really getting into working on this truck and is now anxiously awaiting ya'lls response on the injectors....

I see him visiting this website himself in the near future....

I think it is funny how he went to the parts store today and the guys asked him how he knew this and that about which parts we needed and how to fix this and that and he promptly informed them that his "wife" visits Superdutydiesel.com along with the other website to find information on how to work on and improve HER truck.

Yes, this is MY truck....I admit, I am a redneck and I would rather drive a truck or a tractor any day of the week than to drive any kind of car!!!!

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
Forgot to add, the truck currently has about 118,000 miles on it.

I don't think the injectors are bad, as I have never had a lack of power, but the reason for replacing the cups was because about 3 days after changing the oil/filters, etc, we noticed a puddle under the truck.
At first we thought maybe the oil filter wasnt on tight or that the fuel filter was loose.....upon closer inspection, we noticed that the coolant reservior was overflowing, not gushing, but definitely causing the puddle.

Hubby emptied it, thinking he had added too much coolant/water...
The next day, it was overflowing again..........this time he looked in it and noticed that it was diesel fuel in it...

He took the truck, against my wishes mind you, to the local repair shops that works on gasoline motors, who also know nothing about diesels....
They told him it was a cracked head, at which point he was about to have a cow! Meanwhile, I went to TDS and found out what the problem really was and was then pointed to Powerstrokeshop.com to order my parts, at a very nice savings over the local guys around here... I ordered my parts on Friday, and had them by Wednesday, the week before Christmas.....

So now once he gets everything back together, I will let you know if it is running better....
I am still eyeing those Stage 1's.....

Hubby did find a loose wire in there that either goes to an injector or a glowplug, he hasnt figured out which one just yet....

I would hazard to guess that I visit this forum at least everyother day and read, read, read to learn learn learn..

Thanks for sharing the wealth of knowledge to us fledglings out here!

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
Thanks, it truly is a nice ride...

I just found out from the previous owner that he kinda scammed me....
He told me that he had different injectors in it, giving it more power (I reckon something simular to Stage 1's) when we were working out the details of my purchasing the truck. He now tells me, after he has told my husband and me that he has never touched the injectors, that he changed the injectors before I picked up the truck...He took out the upgraded injectors and put back in the stock...........-mad :cussing:
I tried not to say much about the fact that he told me the truck had keyless entry........he just failed to tell me that it was not working and still isnt working.......But, I will fix it....

I guess I should not complain as we love the truck, just don't like the dishonesty is all.

Don't think there is much I can do about it now, short of taking him to court over it, but whats the use????

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on what kind of intercooler is present will determine which intercooler kit you need to order.

More than likely the turbo upgrades he did might be an exhaust housing or possibly he bought the "wicked wheel" which is exactly what we run stock so it wouldn't do anything for you.

The injectors... mine looked like that when I pulled mine Bean didn't seem to say that that was anything abnormal but a good solvent & soft brush will clean that up really easily.

back to intecooler options if it's an ATS intercooler you'll need to get their piping kit othewise you the rest of them you can get a piping kit from www.gtsmotorsports.com that's designed to work w/ the superduty retrofit but I believe will work with the banks or hypermax intercoolers.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
an ordeal alright
yep the close ups look pretty normal for carbon build up and the erosion I mentioned earlier amy have been the light on the tips in the photo.
the new photos are a bit easier to READ.
the intercooler hook up for that body style I will let someone with more experience take a shot.
as for the powerstroke shop great choice they sometimes are hard to get hold of on teh phone but they really do have a sense of pride and great customer service.
I have been through a numerous money exchanges with them and always been very pleased with the products and speed of response

hope it all goes back together and continues to run like the way you like
AND
this place is the uneqivical source of NO bs answers or flaming, just good straight forward truck talk

Last edited:

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
Well, looks like the only thing we are missing in getting this thing back together today is the female pins for replacing the wires on the wiring harness. The company that was supposed to get them in 3 weeks ago, still does not have them. So today hubby is making a 2 hours, one way trek to pick up this lovely little wires that is holding up progress.

I don't remember who it was that said that it looked like the injectors were vibrating in there, but that makes so much sense. Without the O-rings those injectors are going to move around in there, which is probably what caused the cracked cups.

In anycase, when all is finished I am sure this will be an ever better running truck...

Hubby found a loose wire, and I may need to take a picture to see if anyone can tell me where this wire goes. He thinks it either goes to a glow plug or an injector...I will get a pic when he gets back so someone can maybe give us an idea where to put it. It was not hooked up when he started it but in putting it back together he hopes that he can do it correctly.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if your like most you got three days now to get here fixed.

its almost jim beam time here
tick tock

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14