CB radio & antenna mounting

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
I did this to the back of my Jeep:

and there was no way I could bring myself to drill through the roof of my truck!

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i wont drill holes in my roof either so i used a wilson 1000 mag mount on both trucks.on my 94 i couldnt get the SWR under 2.put a K40 on it and had a flat match.decided to recoax the wilson and found out that my new in the box when purchased antenna was recoaxed already and had a crappy job done o it.coax was supposed to be 18',it was 15'.plus everything inside the magnet was rusty.cleaned everything up good,recoaxed it and now got an almost flat match.the needle on the meter just gets tickled when i key up.

my 95 had a flat match without doing anything.the radio in this truck can TALK.i was doing about 100 miles the other night,and regularly do 30 miles :D

FoMoCo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
Be sure to take some pictures............I am very interested in doing this also for the Kenwood D700, the CB and the Scanner.

Tbar

I will when I'm done, Being the procastonator that I am don't look for it in the next few weeks though. :roflmao I use the V8000 (moded) predominately for Baja 500 and 1000 chase. Can you access the Dallas reflector on channel 3? Dallas Reflector is 945 channel 3 (9453) ties into our winsystem www.winsystem.org and we could shoot the breeze. Call sign is KI6EPQ and am on intermitently during the day. For everyone else with CB's. We run potentially more power on VHF and UHF. CB's are only 5w on HF. The roof shielding of RF becomes a greater concern for us. Especially when I put in my Kenwood 942 with the 1.2 GHz transciever. Not to be nannny nannny nanny but I knew the best solution to the problem and had to overcome my distaste for drilling the roof.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
FoMoCo said:
I will when I'm done, Being the procastonator that I am don't look for it in the next few weeks though. :roflmao I use the V8000 (moded) predominately for Baja 500 and 1000 chase. Can you access the Dallas reflector on channel 3? Dallas Reflector is 945 channel 3 (9453) ties into our winsystem www.winsystem.org and we could shoot the breeze. Call sign is KI6EPQ and am on intermitently during the day. For everyone else with CB's. We run potentially more power on VHF and UHF. CB's are only 5w on HF. The roof shielding of RF becomes a greater concern for us. Especially when I put in my Kenwood 942 with the 1.2 GHz transciever. Not to be nannny nannny nanny but I knew the best solution to the problem and had to overcome my distaste for drilling the roof.

Not familar with that. I do frequent this repeater which is linked to your neck of the woods.

N6LXX Repeater

Tbar

94redbeauty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
That is where I ran my coax...........just make sure you leave a loop in the wire so rain water doesn't travel down it and into the cab.

What are your SWR's???

Tbar

Standard Wave Ratio's, can get a meter to check it or some of those big cobra's have them built in, want a low ratio....as for the antenna, get a Wilson...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
alrighty
went back to radidio shack and returned the magnetic ant. it seemed to want to deprat everytime a 18 wheeler passed us or we passed it.
so i got a mirror arm mount 4 foot monster, need a swf meter now to tune it in....
but my problem is when i transmit , my satelitte radio drops all sound ntil i release the trigger. only does it in sat. mode the cd and fm radio work fine.
the two ant. are about 6 feet away from each other?:dunno :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58