CCV observation.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Explination!

Guess Ill be routing it to the Exhaust when I get my 4 inch in...

It smells bad when i have the window down at a light..

SMOKNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
In my non-expert opinion, which means it will be explained in shadetree terms: yes it is normal. Crank case pressure is not caused by blow by. The pressure in the crank case is caused by this: For every upstroke of the piston in the cylinder to condense the fuel and air, there is a down stroke. The down stroke works the same as the upstroke. The rings are still sealed against the cylinder walls right? Therefor the downstroke on the piston compresses the air and blow by gasses into the bottom end of the motor. If there was no blow by the results would be even more pressure created. So for every down stroke you are pressurizing the bottom end of the motor. These gasses that are compressed in the bottom end of the motor must be released or they will blow out gaskets to find their own way out.

Yeah, but in a V8 for every up stroke there is an identical piston doing the exact opposite thing negating any pressure buildup :sweet

SMOKNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, but there still is no pressure from the motion of the pistons. some wind maybe but thats it. In order for pressure to be building in the crankcase there would have to be a volume change, and because each piston has a "sister" doing EXACTLY the opposite thing, there is no volume change in the crankcase therefore no pressure buildup due to the pistons. Rings don't seal 100% that is the only place you can have pressure from in the crankcase. If you vent has smoke shooting out of it, there is probably something wrong like worn out rings. With a diesel and the high compression they run I can only assume this results in a little more blowby? Can you do a compression check on a diesel w/o a sparkplug hole?

hutchinaugusta

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The reason these engines have a lot of blow by at idle is they use twist type compression rings. During no load or low load operation the cylinder wall side of the rings twists up toward the top of the cylinder, they are designed to do this for two main reasons, #1 less ring surface in contact with the cylinder wall = parasitic drag and better economy, less cylinder wear ETC., but the main reason twist type rings are used is during HIGH load operation the added compustion pressure will force the rings to twist down and lay flat in the ring land of the piston allowing the entire ring face to contact the cylinder wall giving the most complete seal possible, high load operation is when there is the most cylinder pressure and when you need the entire ring face in contact with the cylinder wall. During high load operation standard or non twist rings will actually be forced or twist down causing less of the ring face to contact the cylinder wall which will allow more combustion pressure loss just when you really need the perfect ring seal. The trade off with tyist type rings is more blow by under low or no load operation, this blow by also brings soot and unburned fuel deposits with it which end up contaminating the oil, that is one of the reasons idling your diesel over long periods in no longer recommended.

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
That was quite the lesson, thank you, but I find it still is blowing up threw the dipstick tube although not as much as before now that I removed the filter and it's only smoke and not oil dripping down the tube and on the manifold. I got the plastic line installed and routed to the back of the Xfer case cross piece. the natural bend in the tube from being wrapped on the roll worked out well and I made a tappered cut to help draw vent gases. Unfortunately it doesn't do this at idle because there's no ground air passing around it to create the vacuum. After I put in the 4" exhaust I'll route it in the preferred manner.

And on the fuel filter note... Thank you Jvencius for your help last Wed night chat:hail . I changed the filter to a wix and my old cap and still it was leaking about a teaspon daily so I attempted to tighten up every fuel line/connection I could find around the separator bowl and overtightened the regulator line to the point it snapped! At 94K miles and 5 months before the 5yr/100k ran out on the fuel system the Dealer warrantied it!!! that's one for them, but the retarded part is the cap is a removeable piece with easy access and simplicity. So why does the dealer not just carry an improved cap piece to replace? They instead are replacing the entire High pressure pump and separator for a 100 bucks. With that kind of management no wonder they're closing plants. And they are also replacing the return fuel line because the can't remove the left over tip from the inside of the nut. Down side is I'm out of my X for 4 days:( , up side $100 vs $1200... HMMMM?:ZigBang: :thumbs

Last edited:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DavidJ said:
And on the fuel filter note... Thank you Jvencius for your help last Wed night chat:hail . I changed the filter to a wix and my old cap and still it was leaking about a teaspon daily so I attempted to tighten up every fuel line/connection I could find around the separator bowl and overtightened the regulator line to the point it snapped! At 94K miles and 5 months before the 5yr/100k ran out on the fuel system the Dealer warrantied it!!! that's one for them, but the retarded part is the cap is a removeable piece with easy access and simplicity. So why does the dealer not just carry an improved cap piece to replace? They instead are replacing the entire High pressure pump and separator for a 100 bucks. No wonder they're closing plant with that kind of management. And they are also replacing the return fuel line because the can't remove the left over tip from the inside of the nut. Down side is I'm out of my X for 4 days:( , up side $100 vs $1200... HMMMM?:ZigBang: :thumbs

You're very welcome, but there were a bunch of other dudes on at the same time I was who all offered some good suggestions; I was just the quickest typing out "FPR".

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
This is true and thanks to all I'm truely greatful!!! %)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58