CCV Thought

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is positive pressure on the crank case a good or bad thing?

A Good Thing.

I think.. "A Positive vapor flow [From] the CC is a, good thing".. would be a better way of saying it ?

IMO, the I/C can end up being a CC vapor condenser, of sorts. A Bad Thing maybe ?

Last edited:

Hooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without some sort of ccv mod, what's the inside of my intercooler
look like?? How much of an effect does the contaminated intake
system have on the performance of a well maintained truck with
200k on it?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without some sort of ccv mod, what's the inside of my intercooler
look like?? How much of an effect does the contaminated intake
system have on the performance of a well maintained truck with
200k on it?

Very good point Hooper. I've wundered the same thing.

When I installed the 6.0 I/C at 60K, I also installed the Racor at the same time. I propped the 7.3 I/C up on it's Pass. side lower corner.. let it set for 2-3 days... then drained what oil was in it, out. I got about 4-5 ounces out of it. Not Much IMO, for 60,000 miles.. alot of that.. hard towing miles.

The issues I had with the OEM CCV was the oily residue build up in the I/C tubes. Blowing off Plenum and I/C boots, not to mention what effects oil droplets hitting the turbo compressor at WOT.. may have been having. The Racor fixed those issues.

The Racor works for me, but there are many other CCV mods that work equally as well, I'm sure. And ? There are many PSDs out there, well maintained, like yours, with no problems.. SOooo.. it's just a matter of Choice ?

Joe

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread I got to wondering.. So Sunday night I pulled the Racor CCV4500 that I installed late December just to see what the innards looked like. I found that the filter had evidence of immersion to about the bottom 1/3, as if it had been pretty well immersed in oil. I've run a few long and fast trips since install...and the way this thing works is to accumulate the oil until the engine is off...then it drains into the block.

So that oil line 1/3 way up the bowl is how full my bowl was during a run w/o shutting down the engine. I don't think it has been 4k miles total...several ounces of oil in one run! :watchout

Now maybe I have a particularly "gassy" CC but I am sure glad it went back to the block, and not into the plumbing on my intake system! Pix of my install are floating in my photo gallery if you are interested...I replaced boots and turbo. It is clean as a whistle up there. Knock on wood!!!:)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread I got to wondering.. So Sunday night I pulled the Racor CCV4500 that I installed late December just to see what the innards looked like. I found that the filter had evidence of immersion to about the bottom 1/3, as if it had been pretty well immersed in oil. I've run a few long and fast trips since install...and the way this thing works is to accumulate the oil until the engine is off...then it drains into the block.

So that oil line 1/3 way up the bowl is how full my bowl was during a run w/o shutting down the engine. I don't think it has been 4k miles total...several ounces of oil in one run! :watchout

Now maybe I have a particularly "gassy" CC but I am sure glad it went back to the block, and not into the plumbing on my intake system! Pix of my install are floating in my photo gallery if you are interested...I replaced boots and turbo. It is clean as a whistle up there. Knock on wood!!!:)

I hear ya RS. I took the D-side I/C boot loose at the last oil change just to check things after our 11K rv trip. Everything was clean & dry.. I like that. Pulled many-a grade, across this Country... lotsa 2800 rpm, 25+ lb boost stuff at times. All was Clean & Dry.. yep.. I like that.

Life Is Good ;tu

Joe

Hooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the varied opinions about the ccv mods, I'll be doing some research on the Racor
unit.
The 6.0 I/C must be a big advantage the way everyone talks about them. What's the difference between the stock 7.3 and 6.0? Thanks for your input.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the varied opinions about the ccv mods, I'll be doing some research on the Racor
unit.
The 6.0 I/C must be a big advantage the way everyone talks about them. What's the difference between the stock 7.3 and 6.0? Thanks for your input.

Simply put, Back in the day.... With the intro of the 6.0..the 6.0 I/C was just a bit bigger (more volume) yet it fit right in to the same mounting area with little to no modifications. On the 6 speeds (mine) it was simply a "Swap". On the Auto's there are some minor issues about re-posisioning the Trans cooler.

What it gets you is: Cooler EGTs and because of it's new(er) design, a bit smoother air flow.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14