CCV Thought

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new approach

I am a little disappointed in the Jegs product being nothing more than a shop air/oil separator with a mounting bracket and have given up on that idea. I still want and need a separator (see below) and am no more enthusiastic to spend over 300 dollars on a setup.

vbpgimage.php

Thankfully, I just found and purchased a top-of-the-line aircraft air/oil separator off eBay (see below) for a small fraction of its value (also over three hundred dollars). I know this doesn't help anyone else out there since it was such a chance purchase, but maybe my tinkering with it will provide some technical food for thought.

PICT0002.JPG

It should arrive in a few days and I will post up information on installation and performance if ya'll are interested.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That piece you posted is similar to what I've been contemplating on fabricating up to put in mine using stainless steel wool to help precipitate the oil on and allow it to drain back down into the VC while still keeping the attachment on the intake so at least a good portion would be caught by the "filter" and no problems would ensue.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. How many ounces/mL of oil will it hold...or can you shunt the liquid oil that condenses back to some other storage point? That thang looks tiny!

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its actually quite large since it is designed for aircraft engines which are often larger than 500 cubic inches in displacement. This is actually one of the few separators capable of returning oil to the crankcase while the engine is still running. Most units cannot suffeciently condense the oil vapor while hot crankcase gas is still flowing into the separator. I'm not exactly sure of the inner workings, but the Walker Engineering separator I bought employs compressed air from vacuum pump exhaust (used on aircraft to run flight instruments) to aid in oil condensation. I haven't received it yet, but I will be taking a very detailed look at it when I do.

Here is the link to a page with information on the separator:
Airwolf Aviation Air/Oil Seperators

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LoneStar -- that is interesting. What do you plan to do for the pressurized air bleed since I'm guessing that you're not running a directional gyro on your rig! Without that positive air feed you will have no way to drive the oil back into the engine when running. I imagine that the needle valve/spring in our photo adjusts the bleed-in rate...wonder what sort of pressure you need to make this function correctly?

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten sidetracked as of late, I really need and want to get this installed.

You're right, no gyro-stabilized instruments in the rig! My Banks Brake is vacuum actuated though (appears to be anyways, I'm showing my ignorance on this one) and as such there is a vacuum pump under the truck. The discharge for this unit is simply vented to atmosphere right now. I don't think this pump is running constantly, but maybe when it does run it'll push a little oil out. First though, I think I am going try the separator with no air pressure and see what it does.

By the way, that spring loaded contraption actually isn't a valve of any sort. It holds the inner baffle against the upper half of the unit and also helps disassemble the unit for servicing

Last edited:

wyomingoutlaw1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Built my own for about $30.00 and it vents both side of the engine, and after it separates the gases from the oil, the gases vent back into the factory location.
works well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14