Clunk noise in front end

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Autozone 4WD OEM/Ball joint/U-joint press kit is what will be needed to change my ball joints? I'm just wondering if I need a certain kit for doing this, or is this a universal 4wd press kit? Thank you.

Drew

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is a universal kit. I got one on eBay for about $50.00. It has a big c-clamp type press and a bunch of adapters for the various ball joint sizes. You can rent them at most rental places for something like $12/day.

Dave

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Autozone 4WD OEM/Ball joint/U-joint press kit is what will be needed to change my ball joints? I'm just wondering if I need a certain kit for doing this, or is this a universal 4wd press kit? Thank you.

Drew

The one that I borrowed from Autozone would not work and I had to borrow a kit from a friend. Autozone showed a couple of different kits on their website but only had 1 in stock so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately I can't remember the part number of the loaner that I tried.

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Has anyone else used the Autozone kit? Did it work for you and do you know the part number?

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Well, I changed all four ball joints today. It was not bad at all. I think it took 7-8 hours total. It seems like when it is in 4WD and the hubs are locked, the truck jumps more than usual when the steering wheel is turned only one full turn to the left. Turning to the right seems normal with just a little jumping when turned pretty far. I watched closely as I reassembled everything. I greased everything really good. The hubs lock and unlock fine. Has anyone seen anything strange happen on reassembly? Thank you.

Drew

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Also, the passenger lower ball joint was shot big time! It had up/down play about 1/4". The driver side upper ball joint was shot also. I did change all 4 ball joints though.

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
No more clunking at all!! The way the truck drives is awesome now. The truck feels tight now in the front end. I didn't realize how loose the truck felt. It is great that the clunking noise is completely gone!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58