coolent lose

parttime

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
alright guys i just bought this trck last week.any way it started blowing out coolant from the cap and i replaced it and it still bolwed out coolant so i took the truck back to the dealer and the said they would take care of it, they put it in the service dept and they said it was the egr cooler and they replaced it, i picked the truck up tonight and it is still doing the same thing.is it a head gasket problem? only thing its doing is blowing out the cap no white smoke and no smell of coolant in the exhaust.

parttime

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
truck is 100% stock never been chipped.i called the original owner and asked them about the truck before i bought it.and yes i bought it at the local ford dealership here in town.it also had a clean oasis and carfax and that is what sold me on the truck.truck hadnt never had any warranty work done on it.truck is a 03 and runs great no lose of power either.one of the best running 03's i have seen

Reaction score
My truck started blowing out the cap after I had the EGR cooler replaced. I had it back to the dealer a few months later and had them flush the coolant system and check it out. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and to replace the cap. Did that - still doing it. I bought a new thermostat - might get to it this weekend - dunno yet.

Ron

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
My truck started blowing out the cap after I had the EGR cooler replaced. I had it back to the dealer a few months later and had them flush the coolant system and check it out. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and to replace the cap. Did that - still doing it. I bought a new thermostat - might get to it this weekend - dunno yet.

Ron

alright guys i just bought this truck last week.any way it started blowing out coolant from the cap and i replaced it and it still blown out coolant so i took the truck back to the dealer and the said they would take care of it, they put it in the service dept and they said it was the egr cooler and they replaced it, i picked the truck up tonight and it is still doing the same thing.is it a head gasket problem? only thing its doing is blowing out the cap no white smoke and no smell of coolant in the exhaust.

Mine was doing the exact thing and so far, I have been told that the oil cooler is the start of the problem. The oil cooler has coolant flow prior to the EGR cooler and when the oil cooler is clogged it overheats the EGR cooler and over flows the degas bottle. There are numerous write-ups on the oil cooler clogging.

Good news is that it is not the head gasket (yet) and if not corrected will damage the head gaskets.
Bad news is that you have to change out the oil cooler and that requires removing the intake manifold. So when you remove all that stuff it is a good time to hydro test the EGR cooler for leakage or replace it too. Cost in parts $400.00 to 850.00

Labor depends on the mechanic.

6.0 oil cooler failure - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

Last edited:

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly could be the head gasket, but 4x4 points out an important point also, check the coolant temp and the oil temp (scanner) when warm, if there is more than 25 degree split (I heard rumour ford changed it to 15 degrees), that is the oil temp is more than 25 than the coolant temp, then the oil cooler could be clogged (coolant flow), letting the egr cooler not flow enough, boiling the fluid causing the overflow. They can check for CO2 in the coolant (confirming a head gasket) or hook up a pressure gauge to the coolant system and go for a drive, and confirm a hg pretty quick. It is a lot of work to replace, so they may be hesitant to confirm it as a hg, but if it is - you want to get it fixed quick.

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pss

I understand International replaces the oil cooler when any egr cooler is replaced as a normal on the 6.0, but ford decided not to follow that practice. So there are certainly going to be cases where the EGR is replaced, but the main culprit is a clogged oil cooler.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
If it is a clogged oil cooler - that is the main reason so many people use coolant filters on the 6.0
I would agree, but as the new owner of a truck that had previous issues of a clogged oil cooler and then thus a cracked EGR cooler, it now falls on me to repair and install a filter. Too bad that Ford co. is so cheap as to not repair all the items properly.

How would one know the difference when the oil cooler gets clogged before the EGR cooler? It seems that everyone automatically turns against the EGR coolers first even though the oil cooler is first in line for coolant.

Here is a second question:
What is the best product to ensure the proper clean out of the coolant system? I have read that some people are adding 'simple green' to get the sludge out. I have used radiator cleaner/flush but it does not seem to get it all out.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58