Couldn't take the TTB anymore

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Couldn't take it anymore had to get rid of the goofy TTB, couldn't justify the 1200 going rate for a 60 but still looking for a truck to buy swap and sell the truck again, yes I know a 60 is the way to go but this will do for now.

Final straw was my brother didn't tell me he was trading in his 97 just like mine 250 CC SB that had a 60 under it when he got it, he traded it for a new d*dge with a cummins, could have strangled him, told him I could have swapped them in 2 hours and sure he didn't get any extra from the dealer for it.

Anyway, ended up making the TTB front-end a straight axle and very happy with it so far. Will try to get some better pics as the battery ran dead and flash wasn't working good enough. Used 1/2" plate on the bottom and 3/8" on the top, front, back. Made a small truss out of 3/8" for the top and a track bar out of hardened 1" round. Ended up with camber at 0 degrees left and right set toe to 1/16" couldn't get any pics after putting on solid axle type tie-rod and drag link.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a good alternative method to swapping the axle.

If you weren't on the otherside of the country my brother has a D60 he's looking to sell for under the 1200 mark and no not 1199.99.

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Thanks, have to get some better pics with more light under there. I knew beforehand that it would be bouncy due to the spring rate of the 250 springs but definitely drives better, turns sharper no scuffing on tight turns no walking out when backing up. As soon as I pick up some SD springs the ride should be outstanding with the RSK. One odd note was that the truck raised up over an inch when we were done, the TTB must put quite the leverage on the springs.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
highfive said:
turns sharper

Good Mod :sweet I never have like the TTB.

Only question I have is how did it change the turning radius? The Dana 60 straight axle turns sharper because of the knuckles but how does welding up the center section of the 50 change the radius?

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I know when I put the add a leaf kit under my f250 mine turned with much less effort I noticed it immediatly when I backed out of the driveway. not sure why also raised it 2.5 inches. I think I'm gonna do mine soon too, tired of shopping around trying to find a good deal on a D60, 1500 is not a good deal from the wreck yards since one of my buddies got one out a wrecked logging crummy for 300.00

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
I'm not really sure on the turning radius could be just in my head but I was thinking about all the scrubbing I would get with the TTB and how the tires walk when not in a straight line. You know that handy constantly changing toe that comes standard with the TTB effecting the turn radius a little. I just can't believe they ever thought it would be a good idea with leaf springs.

Mud, yeah the 60's seem gold plated here in the NW, better off buying a whole truck and swapping them then selling the truck but everybody seems to have the same idea right now.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I cant believe you didnt like the TTB
i had mine for just over 110k,
rode rough as HECK, wore out the edges of the tires, rode rough,
was sort of goofy on a 250? what were they thinking:confused:

bigfootpsd96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
got lucky and bought my 250 with a 60 already in it:thumbs

but my buddy built it and he got lucky and found one for like 700 if i remember correctly.

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Yeah, so did my brother and then proceeded to trade it to the stealer for a new dodge and left it in there, and yes, I am still torqued about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14