Couldn't take the TTB anymore

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I did mine this weekend and holy chit does it ride rough, thinking new shocks next since mine have 160k on them and I'm sure they need replacing. but mine got an inch higher too.

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Couple of ways to fix that in order of effort/cost and ride improvement:

1. Bolt on a set of stock OBS F350 springs, they are quite a bit thinner should ride like any other 350 easy to find these at any yard probably.
2. Build your own RSK and use a set of OBS 350 springs I can give you the templates for the RSK pieces, better ride than just 350 springs and not too expensive(a little steel, bolts, shackles).
3. Build your own RSK with the front mount mounted further forward and find a set of 99+ superduty springs v or x codes and you will have the best ride possible and not too expensive springs are about $85 around here from the yards, the RSK cost me about $120 to build.

I still haven't gotten a set of springs yet but mine rides like a truck with a stiff add a leaf as I already have an RSK just not the right springs. Where's the pics and how did it go?

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Hey does your steering wheel still stay center when you are driving straight? mine is about an 1/8 of a turn to the left but when I let go it stays straight in the rode for a long time. I did not take any pics I should have But I had no camerarsk is thata reverse shackle kit?

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Your wheel is probably slightly off center due to the lift of 1 inch that you mentioned. Did you change the tie rods yet or leave the TTB ones on? you will need to adjust them to get it centered if you want the steering wheel centered again since you added a little lift and to adjust the toe due to the same thing.

Yes, RSK meaning reverse shackle kit, easy to do especially since you have the axle in 1 piece. All you need is 5 feet of 1/4" x 5inch plate, 5 feet of 1.5" DOM tubing, some grade 8 bolts and 2 shackles from the rear of a 88-97 f-superduty and your choice of springs either OBS f350 or preferably 99+ SD v or x codes.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
do you have some pics of the rsk setup? did you put blocks in the back to make it even? also I see in your sig that you have done the idm mod, did you have a 1DM 100 if so what resistor did you use and where did you get it? I want to do this to mine but have never been able to find the part number for the resistor?

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Didn't have a digital camera when I did the RSK but they are real simple and I could probably take a couple that would give you the idea and could send you soft copies of the templates for the pieces if you wanted to do one.

Since I went 4.5 inches on the front it was easiest for me to flip the rear hanger on the back springs which required a degree shim to get the carrier pointed back down, this left the front about an inch low like normal and then when I welded the axle it made it about 1/2 inch high in the front. Gonna wait til I get some SD springs and see how much it changes the lift in the front and go from there. I would have to look at the resistor I think I still have the package in the garage got it at valley industrial here in Medford, will send part # off of it tomorrow.

94redbeauty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
highfive said:
Yeah, so did my brother and then proceeded to trade it to the stealer for a new dodge and left it in there, and yes, I am still torqued about it.

On the fab work for this, did you do most of it? How much $$$ did you figure you had in it? I hate this front end, and I was thinking if I were to take it into shop somewhere to build it solid because I do not have the resources to do it myself.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I did the fab work myself and the metaal cost me 24 bucks I used 3/8 on the front,top and bottom. I bet you would have about 400-500$ if you had someone do it for you. Also A fab shop might not do it for you due to liability isssues of altering a front axel of a over the road vehicle.

Last edited:

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Yeah, my brother and I did the fab work, he is a lining outfit superintendent and been welding for 25 years, new metal cost me about $45 plus $15 for welding rod and $20 for other stuff-gas-grinding wheels-misc..

The steering and springs would need to be added to for best results so figure those in also.

As far as the RSK goes I did that all myself metal was about $65 and bolts were like $30, shackles I found for $30, piece of cake to put the RSK together . You can cut the plates easy enough and cut the tube to fit then get that one tube welded in cheap enough by a welding shop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14