Dead 7.3

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I would have had time to get it to the diesel shop in the first place and never dealt with the dealership.
Thanks guys!

Toptech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that works for a dealer and he said that a long block for a 7.3 is only 1700 bucks dealers cost. Just repeating what I heard.

I'll take three of them at that price! You may want to recheck the price, it seems to be just a bit low. But getting back to the original problem. If a shop told me that blow-by was pushing coolant out the degas bottle and causing the engine to overheat; I would be taking my truck to another shop. Blow-by can not cause that.

Toptech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
would a compression test tell me if its a head gasket, cracked head, or block?
Thanks!

Not nessasarily. Static compression could be fine, may only leak under extreme cylinder pressure (turbo boost). The best test is to check for combustion gases in the cooling system. Any good engine tech will have the kit needed to perform this test.

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it to a good diesel shop, they did a compression test on 'er and say that they think it's a blown head gasket. They're going to go ahead and replace both gaskets for $1500+tax.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Well I got it to a good diesel shop, they did a compression test on 'er and say that they think it's a blown head gasket. They're going to go ahead and replace both gaskets for $1500+tax.

If that does the trick I would seriously be thinking about going back to the dealer service department when they are busy with customers and start raising hell so everyone knows they tried to stick you. :rant

Tbar

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
If that does the trick I would seriously be thinking about going back to the dealer service department when they are busy with customers and start raising hell so everyone knows they tried to stick you. :rant

Tbar

man Ive seen that done a hand full of times:lmao

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thanks again guys, biggest downside of the whole ordeal was that I had to borrow a buddies cummins to tow the ol' stroke to the shop and he took a picture of it and posted it on cumminsforum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14