Question Different tire recommendations for same size lift?

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this on another forum and got no responses, so maybe better luck here.....Lately I have been debating getting a bigger lift, or just trying to cram bigger tires under my current Fabtech 6" lift. While doing research on the 8-10" lifts I have noticed that every company has different recommendations for their 6 and 8" lifts. With 6" lifts Superlift =37x13.5, Fabtech =35x13.5, Rize =37's, Pro Comp =35x12.5. I understand that back spacing on your wheel can make a difference, but if 37" will fit under every 6" lift why wouldn't that company tell people that? Im sure Fabtech has lost sales to superlift or Rize because people want 37's and they say it will not fit on their lift. Isnt a 6" lift a 6" lift? What gives?

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Dave said. Doesn't really make sense. 6 inches is 6 inches.

I'm sure you could get away with it. I really don't know why they don't fit all the same tires. A friend of mine said its because they're trying to get people to buy their bigger lifts for those tires. I dunno how to validate that, but you could call them.

FabTech Motorsports: toll free, (877) 432-2832

IMO I think you'd be fine, but I got a 99.. You have different suspension components and stuff I'm probably not accounting for. Just keep your wheel backspacing in mind. I'd ask when I call them. Maybe you'll have to trim, at the least. Mine are cutout, with 4 inch flares. I guess it depends how bad you want 37's :D

Just curious, are you considering re-gearing it for the bigger tires?

Last edited:

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, are you considering re-gearing it for the bigger tires?

No I do not. I spoke with a relative who owns a diesel repair shop in Denver and he told me it would not be ne essary for what I do, but I needed to get a programmer to change the shift points. Said if I was off tossing or doing some heavy towing I might want to consider it but not needed for regular driving

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re-gearing will improve mileage and relative power when using larger tires compared to the original tires. Right now, you'd be losing power as it dissipates in the drivetrain, as the larger diameter tires take longer to get started, and rotate less at the same speed. This causes the engine to "lug" - running at a lower rpm than designed for a given speed. You lose power to the wheels, and use more fuel...

Regearing gets the engine turning in the correct rpm range for most efficient power output, which in turn improves fuel mileage....(not to mention proper operation of the ABS system, tranmission shift points, etc).

I'd do it mainly so I don't lose all my torque. I did that with a Silverado 2500. 9 inches of lift combined with 35's, on the stock differential. It lagged power AND never got better than 9 MPG. (easy on the Chevy jokes, we all know they're weak) :D

Just my .02, I had the same idea you have about the truck being used for just driving.

Last edited:

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting a little off topic, but where do you look to see what gears are in the truck from factory? I looked in the door jams and it seemed to give info on everything but the gears.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting a little off topic, but where do you look to see what gears are in the truck from factory? I looked in the door jams and it seemed to give info on everything but the gears.

There should be a VIN information category in the WIKI articles at the top of this page.

Larger tires will put more strain on the transmission and torque converter no doubt. If you ever like to show off or play around in your truck, then that puts a strain on the drivetrain as well. And those are the times when something is more likely to go wrong.

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2!!

I've already had to rebuild my trans because the programmer got a little TOO much fun ;)

Back to original topic: I would say that if money isn't a huge issue, I'd get the bigger lift. That way if you decide you want to do more than just drive (i.e., off-roading, etc) the extra space will only help. I wouldn't go tooo big, because it throws off your center of gravity. However, more weight to push means even MORE stress on the trans, so it's almost back to square one. Regear.

Money's always been the key issue with me, so I prioritize :D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14