Question Different tire recommendations for same size lift?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2!!

I've already had to rebuild my trans because the programmer got a little TOO much fun ;)

Back to original topic: I would say that if money isn't a huge issue, I'd get the bigger lift. That way if you decide you want to do more than just drive (i.e., off-roading, etc) the extra space will only help. I wouldn't go tooo big, because it throws off your center of gravity. However, more weight to push means even MORE stress on the trans, so it's almost back to square one. Regear.

Money's always been the key issue with me, so I prioritize :D

HOPEFULLY he dont take purty truck off roading. But if you do, NDsuperduty, you should go check out the vid at powerstrokehelp.com of a vid..think its called FUBAR-Big tires kills transmissions. Shows a nice looking truck with a snorkel on 38"s. IIRC it has done ate up 2 or 3 billet torque converters.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TikiWiki : Vehicle Certification (VC) Label

info you are looking for is half way down the page

Aint that some $hit.....mine isnt listed. My truck says 3L which isnt on there.

HOPEFULLY he dont take purty truck off roading. But if you do, NDsuperduty, you should go check out the vid at powerstrokehelp.com of a vid..think its called FUBAR-Big tires kills transmissions. Shows a nice looking truck with a snorkel on 38"s. IIRC it has done ate up 2 or 3 billet torque converters.

I have a subscription there. People online, and in general, seem to have 1 of 2 theories when it comes to their truck. You have the conservative that look to do everything preventative to keep their truck from breaking in any way(gears, bypass filters, etc.) and then you have the drive it till it breaks crowd. I try to be the conservative guy, but typically end up back on the other side:sly

Dont get me wrong, I try not to be stupid with my truck.....however, spending $3,000 on gears because it MIGHT cause my tranny to blow is not really something i'm interested in. I would be more likely to drive it until the tranny gives, then maybe drop down to smaller tires once that happens.

Last edited:

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FUBAR hahahaha

Agreed. x47. idk about you, but throwing a couple thousand into a new TC doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Speaking of purty trucks...I found a good laugh for ya. Check this chit out for them perty trucks. I caught my TEXAS neighbor (OF ALL PEOPLE) when I was home on military leave, using this product on his brand new lifted Duramax.

Spray-on mud: the ultimate accessory for city 4x4 drivers | Science | The Guardian

hahahahaha. FAIL.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FUBAR hahahaha

Agreed. x47. idk about you, but throwing a couple thousand into a new TC doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Speaking of purty trucks...I found a good laugh for ya. Check this chit out for them perty trucks. I caught my TEXAS neighbor (OF ALL PEOPLE) using this product on his brand new lifted Duramax.

Spray-on mud: the ultimate accessory for city 4x4 drivers | Science | The Guardian

hahahahaha. FAIL.

The transmission shop rebuilt my tranny with a BD torque converter, and on the receipt they charged me...it was either 6 or 9 hundred (doesn't matter which way it faces RIGHT?) for the torque converter.

I know how you feel on the preventative maintanence. Been several times when i've bit the bullet to get it done, but still unable to afford it all.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3,000??? I found some for my truck before for about $400 a set. Isn't it just the ring and pinion that has to be replaced or something else?

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3,000??? I found some for my truck before for about $400 a set. Isn't it just the ring and pinion that has to be replaced or something else?

Are you referring to that FUBAR video, when he said it'd be like a $3000 job?

Seems pretty high to me, but for parts + shop labor nowadays, maybe he's right :dunno

Here's what I found after googling it. Decent photos of the R&P and extra stuff, and prices. Pretty much just the first ones I found, so don't butcher me if they're bad prices. Parts are for 1999-2006 SD's.

1999-03 7.3l Super Duty Rear End Gears - Free Shipping

NDSuperduty, this wouldn't be a bad idea. Big tires especially. Again, off topic. just my .02

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a tag on the front axle that shows the ratio. It should be on one of the front cover bolts, if not lost.

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a tag on the front axle that shows the ratio. It should be on one of the front cover bolts, if not lost.

Dave

That was the problem with mine...dont see why they just didn't stamp or engrave the gearing on the differential. I called my local parts dept and found out my gearing before I found the wiki article

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14