EBPV question

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I unhooked my actuator arm and wired the valve open yesterday, I guess with the extra fuel I have now I am sooting heavier and my valve has been staying closed too long on warm ups. So, got sick of it and unhooked it. Question is; do I have to do anything with the actuator rod or is it ok hanging there doing nothing?

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally most folks will disconnect it electrically (at the connector at the base of the turbo, driver's side) and leave the actuator rod connected. If left hanging, it likes to start leaking. If the valve is gutted, some folks will remove the rod and plug the hole with a pipe plug. The other meathod is to modify the pedestal to get rid of the entire thing (I've got one in the works ... who knows when I'll ever get it finished). Cheers!

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to gutting them because it takes away the blockage... and reduces temps...

even if you gutted it your gonna have the actuator arm just hanging there because there is nothing to hook it to. So I would say for now, to see how your going to like it to just leave it as is.

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left my actuator arm hooked up and just unhook the 2 wire connector under the turbo. I will gut mine when I get a chance and JB weld around the arm hole. Thats my plan any how.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Patrick Feeley said:
Generally most folks will disconnect it electrically (at the connector at the base of the turbo, driver's side) and leave the actuator rod connected. If left hanging, it likes to start leaking. If the valve is gutted, some folks will remove the rod and plug the hole with a pipe plug. The other meathod is to modify the pedestal to get rid of the entire thing (I've got one in the works ... who knows when I'll ever get it finished). Cheers!

Good one, I like that approach better than unhooking the actuator arm. Unhooking the electrical doesnt set a code of any kind does it?

And yes, plans are to gut the butterfly, but the road to you know where is paved with good intentions.............. :roflmao

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Mike it will set a code but it doesn't light the CEL either, at least mine didn't.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Unhooking the electrical doesn't set a code of any kind does it?
Yes it does. To eliminate the code problem you need to get a SP Diesel dongle. The SP Diesel Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Eliminator ensures that your truck won't throw any of the codes. The auction in the link above expires in 4 hours but if you do a search for SP Diesel you will find a new auction when that one expires.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Patrick Feeley said:
Generally most folks will disconnect it electrically (at the connector at the base of the turbo, driver's side) and leave the actuator rod connected.

Better late than never I guess..........

I did unhook and wire the butterfly open and as warned I have a leak there now. :cussing: Sometimes ya just have to prove other people right I guess. :D So what I wanna do is unplug it now and hook the arm back up.

In the attached picture is the plug I have circled the culprit I want to unhook? What I did do was unplug the EBPV sensor located right behind the HPOP, but it looked to me like the EBPV rod was still traveling. But I wanted to make sure the right critter to unplug is the one I circled. Couldnt trace the wires as they disappear into the loom again.

Renegade

HillBilly
Reaction score
yep you got the right connector circled to kill the back pressure valve from cycling.

Cheers

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
jharvey said:
Mike it will set a code but it doesn't light the CEL either, at least mine didn't.
This is what I found with mine. Its been disconnected for over 3 years.
Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58