EBPV question

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
EBP tube is now clean and re-installed but the butterfly still stays closed until the coolant reaches 160*F. Before I get an EBP sensor, is this a circumstance where the PCM need to re-learn by disconnecting the batteries because the sensor was removed? Also I changed my ICP also but never disconnected the batteries. I don't have a scanner to check for codes. When I drove off I had a thick black cloud of smoke...something that my truck never puts out, but once warm it ran great as usual. :confused: BTW, the ICP did smooth out my idle. :sweet

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The PCM isnt a "smart" device therefore it can do no relearning. All the PCM can do is react to certain conditions that it sees via the various engine sensors.

IIRC the EBPV operates based upon EOT and IAT, not based upon engine coolant temp Richard.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
IIRC the EBPV operates based upon EOT and IAT, not based upon engine coolant temp Richard.

I realize that but I have no oil temp gauge. Monitoring my coolant gauge gives me an idea of when I should expect the butterfly to open (and finally be able to drive). I just bought an EBP (EGR) sensor from ebay for $32.99.

BTW, the cable/drill idea worked great as did a ball-peen hammer, a torch, bailing wire, brake cleaner, work gloves, wire cutter and vice. It was packed solid with carbon soot at all the bends but now is clean as a whistle. :thanks

Last edited:

seawolf

HA(L)-3 DET-9 69-70
Reaction score
I took the ebpv butterfly out, cut the shaft off to fit flush with the inside, put ridges on what was left of the shaft and pounded it back in at the open position. I also added a screw to make sure it stayed in place. I then reconnected the rod and unplugged the electrical connector.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
:confused: My EBP sensor has been replaced and the EBPR is still not working. Old EBP sensor was crispy inside. :eek:

If the PCM detects an EBP, EOT or IAT sensor fault it will disable the exhaust back pressure regulator.

My plastic Intake Air Temp sensor has been removed from the stock airbox for years since I put in a Tymar. It's destroyed. That's my next sensor to replace. HOWEVER, at powerstrokeshop.com I see TWO IAT sensors. I know the plastic one from the airbox is bad but what's the story with the metal IAT sensor? :confused: Do we have two? :confused:

Last edited:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the "metal" one is for later model vehicles. We only have the one IAT sensor (plastic one). Cheers!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Update. The IAT sensor did not fix it so I got an EOT sensor from International. That did not fix it either. Apparently there is something else going on because the three sensors are new and the EGR tube is clear. So I unhooked the actuator arm and wired it open. OMG! I forgot what my turbo Tymar whistle sounded like. I haven't seen my truck as peppy and responsive in a very long while. IT CAN FINALLY BREATH!!! :sweet . So I dropped $70 on sensors but a $.02 piece of steel wire fixed my problem. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58