EBPV question

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
After you unplug it the computer will throw a code. It does not matter that the code is there but if you don't want it to throw a code you can get a exhaust back pressure sensor dongle from SP Diesel and it will trick the computer into thinking the EBPV is still hooked up.

werner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ebvcode.jpeg

will this work to eliminate the code? is this connected to the turbo or actuator arm?
if this connects at the actuator arm do i still have to disconnect at the turbo housing?

http://www.dfuser.com/mfg/powerstroke/73/Engine/Sensors/Sensors.php

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
werner that will eliminate the code but what you see in the picture is the backpressure sensor with a dongle stuffed in it on the front of the HPOP reservoir. The sensor is not even close to the turbo. You have to unplug the EBPV at the turbo and then plug the dongle in on front of the HPOP reservoir.

By the way welcome to the site :welcome2

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
My EBPV is sticking. It's so bad that I can't drive until the coolant reaches 160*F when the butterfly opens. If I try, I can't get over 20 mph.

So my options are:
1)gutting it and plugging the actuator arm hole.
2)unhooking the actuator arm, unhooking the electrical connector and tying the butterfly open

But these are bandaid fixes to a problem. Why would it stick in the first place? Why would the EBPV activate at ambient temps over 37*F? Would replacing the EBP sensor fix the problem? Is there a vacuum leak?

I need to do something. I don't want a leaking actuator arm. I'd prefer to solve the problem.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Yes it does. To eliminate the code problem you need to get a SP Diesel dongle. The SP Diesel Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Eliminator ensures that your truck won't throw any of the codes. The auction in the link above expires in 4 hours but if you do a search for SP Diesel you will find a new auction when that one expires.

It depends on your pcm code, mines been gutted and disconnected for 3 years and has never once set a code....

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Is the tube from the manifold up to the sensor clean and not plugged Richard?

Nope, it's totally plugged. :rolleyes: I removed the EBP sensor and the sensor receptacle and couldn't push a wire through the tube. My question is what do I need to remove to get to the lower end of the tube to remove the lower compression fitting? I'm guessing the serp belt, alternator and bracket. Anything else?

Will a penetrating oil like Kroil dissolve carbon? How about brake cleaner? I'll probably wind up heating the tube with a torch and reaming it with flexable wire.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Shouldnt have to remove anything else at all Richard. You can snake a hand and wrench in there. Brake or Carb cleaner works good to disolve the carbon/soot build up as does a small guage chunk of cable chucked up in a cordless drill. Take the cable and begin feeding it into the tube along with the carb cleaner and you have an instant mini-roto rooter. Get the cable from you local hardware store.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
If you run into much trouble getting the tube unclogged it is easier to just buy a new tube, they are cheap at your local dealer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58