egr disconect

jxm71

Broken Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Newbe here. Can someone explain how to disconnect the EGR? What do you all mean by your truck running better? What type of improvements are you seeing?

Last edited:

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
It wont throw the CEL then. just have the 2 codes stored, wont hurt nothing

It's a little more complicated than that. The PCM is looking at a lot of things. For some it improves the truck's performance, others have seen the performance get worse. I believe it depends on the PCM strategy that is programmed in.

The PCM looks to see if the EGR is actually functioning. Disconnect it and obviously it isn't. This may cause the PCM to reduce the performance, again depending on the strategy.

Plug a second EGR in and the PCM sees it functioning but doesn't sense a change in the exhaust flow via the EBP sensor. This again may alter the behavior of the truck and lower performance over time.

Ultimately the best way to do it is with an SCT, as it flat never commands the EGR to open. Being that I don't have an SCT I have unplugged mine and it turns on the CEL (04 California truck :cussing: ). The truck does seem to run better, but I have not done it for an extended test.

As far as "running better" is defined, the turbo will spool up faster as the EGR is not robbing exhaust flow from the turbo.

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I’ve had mine unplugged for way over a year now. Truck has been back to the dealer twice for re-calls, they never said a word. I bought a new EGR, and built a bracket, mounted it using the alternator bolt. Whenever the truck would go into the dealer, I just unplug the phony one, plug back into the original, and remove the phony one. Soon as I start the truck, drop it in gear I can tell the difference in throttle response.

Before going to a phony EGR, I could not catch a buddy of mine with his 2000 Dodge w/Cummins. He would have 4-tons of hay combined on his pickup, and trailer, and I would have 4-tons on the bed. Going over the passes he would walk right away from me. After going to the phony EGR, now I push him up the passes. Really pizzes him off too! :roflmao

Jimmy T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
egr disconnect

I kept mine disconnected for 2 weeks in my 04 and I don't know if it was in my head or what but it seemed to start running poorly especially when cold.
The first week I thought it had improved performance but the next week it seemed slugish and loud. Any way I plugged it back.:dunno

Armkb

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Calif. Emission 6.0 and the CEL comes on when unplugged everytime.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Should I take it off? Just try it? Can it hurt the truck?

And how do I do it *bump*

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I unhooked the egr at the plug with no more than 50 miles on my truck. Was topping off the fuel, knew how to do it, unhooked with the truck turned off at a Hess station. Never been plugged back in and runs fine. Never will plug back in. For what? I have an '04, no CEL's, no nothing. Unplug and enjoy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58