egr disconect

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
I'm greatly surprised it didn't throw a clot and put the CEL up for some emmisions related crap. I was going to sleeve mine, that way it can be connected, move and the ECM will get feedback, and think it's doing something, meanwhile it's got no gas to pass...

only california trucks will turn the CEL light on.
others will set a code, BUT NO LIGHT...just cause the
light isnt on doesnt mean you dont have DTC's set.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dude said:
I priced out a new egr it was 409.00 canadian from good o`l discount ford If I can get around it i will

lowest price i found was about 140 USD from some online
dealer/retailers.

79USD on ebay

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
It wont throw the CEL then. just have the 2 codes stored, wont hurt nothing

you could have more than 2 codes....'specially if it was problematic
before you disconnected it...ive got 5 EGR related codes

the problem w/ disconnecting is that the VGT & EBP will try to
compensate for it...i run lower boost when i had to disconnect
my egr (to get home).

wanna see the codes i have set...look HERE !

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
How to unhook? Just make your mind up that spent fuel and soot doesn't have a place in that expensive motor, shut the truck OFF [this is important] and unplug. Start truck, resume your life. Turbo will spool faster, egt's will drop a hair, turbo whine will sound better, and mileage can increase slightly. And if your not happy with it, well then plug it back in. Its a real blast to run without...especially if your having smoke problems.

azkick-n40

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Newby here - does anyone have a picture of where I would disconnect it - to see if my rough idle at lower elevations goes away?

BTW, I have a 2003.

Thanks!
Brian

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
azkick-n40 said:
Newby here - does anyone have a picture of where I would disconnect it - to see if my rough idle at lower elevations goes away?

BTW, I have a 2003.

Thanks!
Brian
Here you go, red arrow is pointing to the original EGR, the yellow arrow is pointing to the phony one. See the white plastic cap on the original EGR? Just pull the plug. :sweet

azkick-n40

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pile Buck said:
Here you go, red arrow is pointing to the original EGR, the yellow arrow is pointing to the phony one. See the white plastic cap on the original EGR? Just pull the plug. :sweet

Thanks Pile Buck!

Any parts or pieces going to fall out when I pull it out?

Should I put anthing over the hole to keep "stuff" from getting in there?

Brian

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
“Any parts or pieces going to fall out when I pull it out”?

Hi Brian, now you’re just going to unplug it right? Not remove it all together?:eek:

“Should I put anthing over the hole to keep "stuff" from getting in there?”

I used the little clear plastic plug that came with the new / phony EGR just to make sure nothing got in there. I can’t believe the difference in performance in my truck when running the phony EGR. I’ve had to take my truck in 3 or 4 times for recalls. The second I push on the throttle after reinstalling the phony EGR I can tell the difference in power! :burnit

azkick-n40

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pile Buck said:
“Any parts or pieces going to fall out when I pull it out”?

Hi Brian, now you’re just going to unplug it right? Not remove it all together?:eek:

“Should I put anthing over the hole to keep "stuff" from getting in there?”

I used the little clear plastic plug that came with the new / phony EGR just to make sure nothing got in there. I can’t believe the difference in performance in my truck when running the phony EGR. I’ve had to take my truck in 3 or 4 times for recalls. The second I push on the throttle after reinstalling the phony EGR I can tell the difference in power! :burnit

Pile Buck,

Yes I am going to ONLY unplug it. Someone recommended that my rough idle problems (that the dealership can't diagnose in Flagstaff - see my post of Going to the Dark Side) may be from bad EGR valve and in reading some other posts other people have unplugged and their rigs ran better. I will be in Phoenix this weekend and may unplug to see what it does down there.

Is the reason you unplugged yours and put a phony one on there to make it run better? Or did yours go bad?

I'll see if I can fab something up to keep the gunk out.

:thanks

Brian

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here's a quick news flash for ya... for giggles I disconnected the EGR on my 06 tonight. I made it no further than 20 mile and the CEL came on. Didn't really run any different, but the turbo was much, much louder and it never went above 20 psi at full throttle. I plugged it back in and it behaves like it did before. I expect the light to go out in the next 20-30 miles... otherwise it's a quick trip to autozone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58