egr valve is anybody having problems

fordtrucknut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bushpilot said:
sounds like you unpluged something else...the EGR is at the top
of the engine/FRONT CENTER...Item #1 in the lower PHOTO on
thisPAGE

Thanks for clearing that up for me -mad .... I wonder if anyone can tell me what I unplugged! What ever it is has seemed to make the problem dissappear! I looked at that excellent link but could not find any info on what it was I unplugged on the passenger valve cover.

dpantazis

Reaction score
we in the VW world have been dealing with plugging EGR's for years- 7-8 maybe? i think it a natural extension to compare my little 4 banger emmisions to the 7.3/6.0. the europeans learned this lesson 10-15 years ago.

there do not seem to be many folks who are double diesel like this, or many by i am just stupid to share, but here goes....

1. we can not easily elimintate the egr system on the vw's. we are sort of stuck with them (early cars can be eliminated and chipped to ignore)

2. the problem on the VW's with CCV feeding oily vapor and sooty exhaust of the EGR creates deposits on the egr AND on the intake manifold. the deposits are soo bad that you have to pull the instake off it de-gunk it. look at these pictures. cleaning involves LOGTS of time and effort to remove the cememted carbon.
EGR valve-
View attachment 2356
Intake Manifold-
View attachment 2357

3. using good oil makes a difference to cut down on the soot carried by the oil.

4. the main cause of the soot is high sulpher PPM fuel. peolpe running USLD report slower/no buildup rates.

5. idling in place is BAD. VERY BAD because little airflow to move this suff out. it also will deposit on the variable vanes of the turbo. bumper to bumber traffic is bad too.

6. the surest fire way to elimintate the problem is to use a egr particulate filter like the MAnn Provent, Donaldson Spiracle. this also cuts down on the oil getting into the intercooler too.

These are PROVEN to work. the big engine companies are putting them on their vehicles too. their use is out there.

I highly doubt that FMC will pay to have the intakes pulled to get cleaned. I think it would have to be a cab-off typ of repair. jsut try and go and prove it to them that faulty egr is the cause for decreased performance. they will say its a maintenance thing.

so for $175-$200 for a CCV filter with replaeable elements, its good insurance for our $10,000 engines.

i hope someone who has a 6.0 and gotten a new EGR put on, takes this to heart and puts a CCV filter on and reports their results.

i will put up pics of my provent on my 7.3 if anyone wants.

dennis

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dennis im in TOTAL agreement w/ you...its not necessarily fomoco issue...
the epa forced this...cool the SOOT is NOT a good thing on diesels.

i know of cases where the vw intake runners were so coked up they
couldnt chisel the crap out...vw has replaced many intakes under
warrenty.

the thing i find almost humorous is what the dodge boys will be
sayin' next year when they have their 1st model year (egr, EPA
induced) problems...itll be interesting to see how loyal that bunch
remains when they start having problems.

heres some links data to the DONALDSON Spiracle and
the Mann Provent (as adapted to a VW TDI

I see the Mann Provent can be had for about 135 bucks...be nice if there were a wiki or
a KIT <purchasable> for our trucks.

Last edited:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
bushpilot said:
the thing i find almost humorous is what the dodge boys will be
sayin' next year when they have their 1st model year (egr, EPA
induced) problems...itll be interesting to see how loyal that bunch
remains when they start having problems.

Well, i hate to rain on the parade, but I'm pretty sure that the Dodges won't have any trouble at all. Daimler knows how to make an EGR and make it work. They've been doing so for quite some time now.

I can't help but point out the fact that Doodie-Max's have had EGRs since day 1 on the lot, and the Doodie-Max forums seem to be pretty empty when it comes to EGR problems.

I think this is a Ford problem. Period. I think that when the Dodge EGR's finally do come out, they are just going to be able to brag that much more because the'r EGR's are trouble free, and Ford's are a maintenance item on the order of one per oil change.

Time will tell. Let's wait and see. But I think that this is just going to put that much more egg on Ford and Navistar's face when it comes to producing a decent diesel engine.

Isuzu got it right. My money is on Daimer doing the same. Will Ford get it right with the new 6.4 liter? I sure as heck hope so.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58