bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youll also see higher EGT's...if youve got an egt & boost guage
youll see erractic boost...

when mine began failing i felt a lack of power even though i was
seeing higher boost even at steady throttle...steady to slight increases
in throttle produced "bucking" boost...dramatic jumps of 10lbs and more
in SHARP jumps...it would fall off just as quickly.

if youre seeing symptoms like this and need to get it to the next
stop/hotel or dealer (and as a way to "troubleshoot" the problem)...
pull over, turn the truck off & then unplug the egr...resume driving
and see if the problem goes away...

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
myfirstford said:
I only get this problem if I don't let it warm up and just take off.

if its egr, itll get worse...i had no symptoms until i was underload/towing
a car...and i was 6hrs into a 20hour drive...

nother way to diagnose the problem is w/ code readers and testing
software...i use AUTOENGINUITY purchased from a sponsor of this forum ITP Diesel

sattwood

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a new EGR on ebay for 60 bucks. When I called Ford they wanted $280. So now it's a couple of zip ties and away I go! WHen I need to take it into the shop, cut the zips, plug into the original EGR and I'm good to go!...Steve A

Jim up north

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Egr valve

DaveBen said:
Cough - like in not gettin enough air.

Dave
This is exactly what mine does when going up hill, they changed it just before I bought the truck. When going up hill or rolling along in cruise , step on the pedal to pass some one and (ooops! can't breath!!!) I know Mr.Daveben mentioned once before my EBP valve, Yet this egr valve is like sticking a dirty thumb in a freshly baked pie. Should I go back to ford or just save up the money and do the phoney EGGGR! :(
Jim :thanks

myfirstford

Always a full pull
Reaction score
I think your EGR is cycling too much, if they touched anything in regards to the EBP sensor this is most likely the cause, mine was doing this even at idle and it caused my Exhaust brake to fail and all the pressure would go through the CAC. Ford is supposed to have a new program that they throw in the computer when anything is done to the EGR system.

powerjoketech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the easiest way to preent the clogging on 03-04 models is to remove the up pipes and block the exaust intake to the EGR cooler the egr will still function as normal the only bad part is the easiest way to get the up pipes out is to remove the tranny but it can be done on low mileage trucks but have lots of good penetrating oil. plan on breaking the four lower bolts on 05 and up models they have a scoop in side the up pipe forcing the exaust into the egr cooler if you block this off you will creat some turbulance in side the up pipe but taking the up pipe assembly to a good exaust shop and having them install a totally new pipe you will how ever still have to attach the egr cooler to prevent the loss of boost

fordtrucknut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sattwood said:
I just picked up a new EGR on ebay for 60 bucks. When I called Ford they wanted $280. So now it's a couple of zip ties and away I go! WHen I need to take it into the shop, cut the zips, plug into the original EGR and I'm good to go!...Steve A

$280.00????? Wow!! I had a surging idle the other day (after the truck sat overnight) then some missing... then some smoke.... after that it ran like a rocket ship! Sounds like it might be this EGR thing. Is this a warranty item? if so maybe i can ask for the original part back, and unplug the new one. Some times the truck feels a little sluggish off the line but then other times it pulls strong right off the line. Is this also a sign of a sticking EGR?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64