ERG cooler question

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I know this question has been asked a million times and I apologize for asking. The first time I pulled my new trailer (14000 lbs loaded) 130 ish miles using a tow program on the SCT about 4 cups of coolant spewed out the pressure cap. So I assumed it was the programmer and the next time I towed, no program, it still lost some coolant but only about 2 cups worth. Driving with the High horsepower tune it spills a bit, but with no tune it doesn't loose any coolant.

Now the fact that I am towing close to the max should I expect some coolant loss or do I have a problem with the EGR?

In expectation of having to take the truck into the dealer I "de modded," if that is a word, my truck. Did I do this prematurely?

If it is a EGR cooler after replacement I plan to do a block off plate and if it is headstuds I plan on doing H11 head studs. :D I guess i hope the turck is broken so I can get the studs done under the warranty.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would guess it is the EGR Cooler. Mine went a few months ago, and I do not tow every day. Just daily usage. The block off plate will not do you a lot of good. The PCM checks the EGR valve and its position to verify that it is working. I don't know about fooling the PCM into thinking that the EGR is OK, but I am sure it is out there somewhere. Head studs would be a lot of work, and maybe worth it for what you do. The cab has to be lifted off the truck to get the heads off and on again. Lotsa work.

Dave

atk

Reaction score
where do you usually have your coolant level at? i think there is a tsb bullentin, where you are suppose to keep your coolant level at minimum mark.
if you have an 05-07 truck, there is suppose to be a sticker on the degass bottle where the coolant level need s to be...hope this helps

it still could be your egr cooler???

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing, and then started blowing a little steam (coolant) out the exhaust from time to time, took it in to have the EGR cooler done under warranty, and it turned out to be headgaskets, egr cooler, egr valve, oil cooler, and 2 bad injectors, I had them put studs in for me while they had it all apart, thank goodness for the warranty, it would have been $7000 or so, if I had to pay out of pocket.

Be careful where you go, they can still tell you ran a tuner, even after you've taken it off, especially if they pull the heads, then it's pretty obvious. Try and find a "mod friendly" dealer if you can.

Good Luck!

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TSB states for all 05, but says nothing about the 06? I normally keep the level at the MAX level? I guess i will keep it at the MIN level and check for overflow.

Thank you all for the help. I will let you all know what happens. Planning on calling on Monday for an apointment. And as far as a Mod friendly Dealer in CA? Haven't found one yet. I took out the IC, Banks Intake, and put the kitty back in.

On another note, when the coolent overflowed it got pasted the air cleaner and was sitting in the intake pipe. :eek: I cleaned up the mess and it makes me worry about the design?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note, when the coolent overflowed it got pasted the air cleaner and was sitting in the intake pipe. :eek: I cleaned up the mess and it makes me worry about the design?

are you saying you sucked coolant thru the air intake of the AFTERMARKET or
FACTORY intake ? given the design of the FACTORY air intake/filter id must
assume youre talking about some aftermarket system (yet another reason
to avoid aftermarket air filter systems) !

unless they CHANGED the degas bottle, and ive never heard that they did,
this TSB impacts ALL 6.0L trucks.

its easy to determine...look at the photos in the link i provided...is your
coolant degas bottle the same ? is it marked the same ? if it is...then
follow the TSB guidelines for coolant fill level !

Last edited:

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bushpilot. and yes the degas bottle is the same as the one in the picture. And yes it was with the Banks Ram Air System. The coolent ran either into the mass air flow sensor hole or straight onto the air filter and on towards the turbo. scary... Needless to say the Banks Ram Air is not going back on.

Anybody looking for a Banks Ram Air intake? Best offer. send a PM.:lmao :lmao

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm screamin' head gaskets on this one (been there and just did it in Oct. '07)

and ill SCREAM...stay away from aftermarket in takes and hp (injection
& boost) increasing mods....if you want a reliable (warranty) truck !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg