ERG cooler question

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Bush, ya don't know what your missing. Throw in a good programmer, air intake, turbo back exhaust, and leave cars at lights WHILE pulling a trailer...its the best. :stir

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bushpilot you misunderstand me. The way I look at it is there are 2 weak parts about the 6.0 motor. The headstuds and the EGR cooler. If I can get the dealer to put in H11 headstuds for the cost of parts and a new EGR cooler that will soon be blocked off. I wil be able to run the programmer haeder with less problems compaired to stock?

Keanoknick it looks like this is your same plan?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Hey GO BIG, thats what i did, and its working great so far.

No more
puke.gif

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EGR cooler is a pipe that runs from the exhaust on the passenger side, pre turbo, passes through a coolant cooled chamber and the through an EGR valve and then right into the intake. Sooty air entering the intake.

The flaw with the system is you have 1300* temp exhaust and 200* coolant with a part that came from the lowest bidder in between. So when the exhaust gets too hot it causes the coolant to flash and out comes the coolant reservoir. These are of course under programmed situations. Sooner or later the part breaks and I if I remember correctly, some even had one pop under factory settings. The block off plate is just that. It prevents the hot exhaust from entering the coolant chamber therefore "protecting" the cheap part. Problem is it throws a code that any programmer will compensate for. And the programmer can keep the EGR valve closed so you have no air in that pipe.

Do I have that correct Bama?

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so some great news. I ran into an old buddy of mine and he just happens to works at Galpin Ford in So Cal. and he was telling me that they have an aftermarket shop on the lot and they install Banks IC's on warranted trucks. Too bad sat was dedicated to making my truck as close to stock as I could make it. So he made an appointment for me to get work done but said that I should run 200 miles without the programmer before I bring in the truck. Something about clearing the ECU. Came form the service advisor. Maybe they can tell?

So either way it looks like I am getting some head studs and maybe i can get them to drop in the block off plate while they have the cab off. Doubt that one but I can try right?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they cant tell DIRECTLY that youve had a tuner and removed it...
but the process of checking for codes and performing diagnostics
reveals data that can arise suspisions...which will give them cause
to look for MORE signs of tuners (assuming the mechanic even cares or
WANTS to look for tell-tale evidence).

there is a memory parameter that displays the number of "starts"
since the computer memory has been cleared....having a LOW
count (starts since memory reset) would be the 1st indication
that there COULD be a tuner (that has been removed).

the MAXIMUM number stored (starts since memory cleared) is
250 or 260.

if youre truck comes in w/ a single digit "starts since mem clear"
i would be suspicious.

you can say you removed the battery cables...but that probably
would not reduce someones suspisions....

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Bushpilot you misunderstand me. The way I look at it is there are 2 weak parts about the 6.0 motor. The headstuds and the EGR cooler. If I can get the dealer to put in H11 headstuds for the cost of parts and a new EGR cooler that will soon be blocked off. I wil be able to run the programmer haeder with less problems compaired to stock?

That's it, but I went with the ARP headstuds after talking to lots of people, plus they're cheaper. I'm also going to be putting in a coolant filter ASAP

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score

I'm thinking the HPOP is creating more problems for the general public than the head bolts. At any rate, while your at it lose the egr, and the cat..and it will really run. Been there, done that..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14