Excursion Towing Problem Question

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend changing out your steering stabilizer and check the front sway-bar bushings. Your Ex shouldn't be wandering under any condition our's is lifted and on 315's with now wander. What air pressure do you have in it with out a load? It kind of makes me wonder if you have a tire that is slightly out of round.

Yes to the above. My 350 seemed to wander some, more than I felt comfortable with anyway.. so I installed a Safe T Plus stabilizer.. Center loaded at 20 lbs..

Now, with 4040K on the steering axle, 5980K on the drive axle and 8820K on the trailer axles (Cat Scale).. it tracks Strait & True.

Tire(s) out of Round issues ? I recently bought 6, GoodYear GS647, RSS 235-85-R16s.. Had all 6, Sipped (shaved) for True Round.. Road Force balanced.

Then, using Load Chart to get some <basic> psi's per tire, I've ended up with: 68 in the fronts, 60 in the DRWs and 68 in the 5r tires. (20 psi in the Ride-Rites)

Along with the Centra-Matics (I know, I know ;)) my "Rig" travels bubble level, strait & true and handles like a Dream.. in All kinds of weather, road conditions and traffic. ;tu;tu

I know this is the EX towing forum and this may all seem like TMI about my 2K DRW, but IMO, Towing is Towing, we need to know all these weight numbers, tire brand specs and after market set-ups (if any)... And deal with it all to get the handling and ride we want ??

Again JMO but, there just isn't A vehicle out there that we can just Hook Up and Go.. with. Selling or Trading, MAY not fix anything:dunno

JOE

Last edited:

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why won't you install Hellwig sway bars and fix the problem?? Months ago you were informed by several of us that they are loose in stock form but the Hellwig bars fix them right up for most guys.

Put the Hellwigs in front and rear today. The Bilstiens went in about 2 months ago.

The first around the block ride, not towing, things seamed to be a lot better. I could let go of the steering wheel for several hundred yards without loosing it. When correction of the wheel were necessary they were minor compared to before.

Can't tow for a couple of weeks as I have brake issues with the trailer to work on first.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a ton of issues going on here,a nd I am sorry that I did not jump in earlier. I tow a 31 foot jayco with my excursion. Tongue weight is important, and how far the hitch is from the rear axle comes into play, as well. I am thinking that it is further from the hitch to the rear axle of the excursion, so that a little sway would be magnified because of the extra distance. That couple with the difference in hitch height between the excursion and the Suburban would make a difference, too. Make sure the trailer is sitting level when hooked up to the truck, make sure that the hitch is adjusted right, and fill up the tires with air. All told, our excursion tows fine with just a standard reese equalizer.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HowieE, We all really want this to work for you. Hope this will do the trick for your towing. I have been there and done that. Don't like a truck and trailer that don't pull true. Best of luck on this sat up.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can see in my signature, I tow a pretty long, heavy beast of a trailer. Prior to installing a Hellwig on the rear, towing was a little squirly to say the least! Even with a Hensley Arrow anti-sway system installed (which I highly recommend if you have the cash). As you see from my mods below, I have not done anything really extravigant to get a smooth, stress-free towing experience (ok, at almost $3k, the Hensley might be a little extravigant) I have dragged this camper from Atlanta to Wisconson, Philly, down to the Keys and everywhere in between with this setup and I must say, I don't hesitate to go anywhere with it.

Like everyone had been saying here, for months :D, the Hellwig was the answer to your dilema. The other mod that made things nice was replacing the factory snubbers with Timbren Load Boosters. Really cut down on the sag and makes for a smooth ride while towing. Does not interfere when there is no load on the rear. Sorry for the long post, had a lot to get out :dizzy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg